Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Jul 27, 2008, 04:30 AM
    Main circuit breaker size and load?
    My panel box and breakers are Bryant, with about 20 positions for breakers. My question is, my main breaker is 2, 60 Amp breakers doubled, What is my service? 60, 120 ? And what are the total amount of 15 and 20 amp breakers I should have in this panel?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 04:39 AM
    If you have breakers you have bigger than a 60A service.

Does the 60 say "lighting main", or something like that?

How old is this panel?
    What other breakers are there?
    Can you post a pic of the panel?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 04:41 AM
    The breaker, and service is rated 60 amps 120/240 volt. The total amount and rating of the branch circuit breakers do not mean anything relating the main breaker or service rating.

The service is sized according to several load calculations based on the size of the home, and several mandatory circuits, and the optional appliances there maybe. I will not show laypeople how to do the calcs, due to various variables, and just plain lazy.

Where do you need to go with this?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size of main breaker and service entrance cable [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am new on this site. I just want to know what is the minimum size of service entrance conductor and main breaker for 17 lighting outlets and 15 conveniece outlets plus one 1.5Hp aircon and 2000 heater. Your reply would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Load Center Main Lug or Main Breaker for the Attic [ 5 Answers ]

I have a large attic (on 3rd floor), 38'x28', which is unfinished space. The 2nd floor central air-condition is located there and used to be fed by a 60 feet of 12/3 cable (I changed the cable to 10/3 to reduce the chance of voltage drop) and it's fed by a dual 15A breaker (240v breaker) in the...

Breaker size in main panel to support sub panel? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring a sub-panel to the outside of my home (50 feet from main 200 amp box). I ran 3 wire - 6 gauge. What is the largest 2 pole breaker I can put in the main panel to supply the sub-panel. TYPE NM-B 6-3 WITH GROUND 600 VOLTS CIRTEX-I EZ-STRIP (R) PLUS 17:11 2/5/07 SB/RC ...

New main breaker load center - grounding [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a fuse box that I want to upgrade to a main breaker load center. My house is in the country so I have a pole with the meter and a service disconnect. From the service disconnect it braches to my barn, well pump, and the house. (Following the main into the house) Inside on...

Circuit Breaker Overload [ 1 Answers ]

I have just installed Heat Tape on my roof to deal with ice damming that has started to take place on my roof (no Cold Roof and I live in Wyoming on a North Facing Slope) Anyway, to plug in the heat tape, I converted an old light fixture into an outlet, and hoped that my problem would be fixed. ...

View more questions Search