Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EthanV Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 04:48 PM
    Circuit Breaker Overload
    I have just installed Heat Tape on my roof to deal with ice damming that has started to take place on my roof (no Cold Roof and I live in Wyoming on a North Facing Slope)

Anyway, to plug in the heat tape, I converted an old light fixture into an outlet, and hoped that my problem would be fixed. HaHa!

The guy who put up my heat tape used so much that it requires 20 Amps, not a problem except for my outside lights and half my living room are on the same circuit breaker.

The current circuit breaker is only 15Amps, and can not handle the load when I plug in the heat tape... obviously.

SO here is my questions to all of you: Can I just replace the circuit breaker with a 30Amp or even a 50 Amp to handle the load? I have a feeling that the way things are wired it will not let me do that. Please tell me if I am wrong but I have a feeling that the wires in my old house can only handle so many Amps. Do I need to put another outlet coming straight from my panel if I want the heat tape to work?

Any ideas or solutions would be fantastic!
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Nov 11, 2006, 06:10 PM
    You could replace the breaker but I think you already know what will happen FIRE!! Maybe, the wiring is based on the draw with a little extra built in but I don't think I would trust the little extra . You should rewire an outlet and because it will be an outside circuit install a GCFI device (I think it may be code) trust me a real electrician will get a hold of this thread give you far more and better advice then make it a lot more complicated before you are through.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Morning sickness Overload [ 4 Answers ]

So OK, I'm 14 weeks today, and I've been In Major HELL, with this whole morning sickness! I've just about had it. I've tried to be positive and just happy that I'm pregnant, but when your throwing up EVERYDAY and EVERYTHING, it's hard to look at the bright side. I've been prescribed three...

Concern about circuit panel overload [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in a process of adding a full bath and have a few concerns that I need your help with: #1. I have a 125 Amp circuit panel, and I did some calculation by adding up all the Amps for individual circuit breakers. I came up with: a. On the left hand side, the total of 155 Amps. b....

Concerns with circuit overload because of bathroom remodeling [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of remodeling my basement bathroom and have hit a road-block with the wiring. Here are my questions. • Before I started my basement bathroom remodel, the only thing that was wired in the bathroom was a vanity light from a 15A circuit. This circuit is shared with the upstairs...

Breaker [ 5 Answers ]

I have low voltage landscape lighting plugged into an outside outlet. The total watts is about 500 and I am using a 600 watt transformer. The outlet is a GFI outlet and has a dedicated 20 amp breaker. Nothing else is on this breaker. Sometimes the breaker will trip. I have replaced the...

Girl Friend Overload? [ 3 Answers ]

It's understandable that you want to do these things for him, as you love him. It's all well and good as long as he appreciates it but the worry is that he will become to rely on you too much. When in a relationship some people adjust slightly but keep their independence, as you have. However,...

View more questions Search