Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ewujun Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Non-resident married to a non-resident: filing status
    I am on H1b and does not pass significant presence test in 2007. My wife lives in home country and had been in the US for less than 30 days in 2007. I think I will need to file 1040nr. Am I single or married? I noticed that on w-4, there was a line saying" if you are married to a non-resident alien, choose SINGLE." Therefore, my federal tax status has always been single and since I am filing 1040nr, I cannot claim my wife as my dependent either. One trick is that single nr can claim student loan interest deduction while married nr cannot. Can I claim single status? Thanks

Jan 15, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Oh, by the way, we are not from Korea, India, Japan, Canada. Nr from those countries are treated differently.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 08:41 PM
    Ewujun:

If you want, you can file jointly with your wife and you BOTH choose to be treated as resident aliens for ALL of 2007. Her physical location is irrelevent; she could be on the moon for all the IRS cares. That way, you can file Form 1040 or 1040A or 1040EZ and claim her personal exemption and the double standard deduction of $10,700. Also, if you paid tuition in 2007, you can claim either a tuition credit or a tuition deduction.

The only downside to this option is that you BOTH must declare ALL of your world-wide 2007 income.

If you want my professional help to do this, email at the address below.

Jan 15, 2008, 09:51 PM
    Hi, Thanks for the note. For 2007, I am a non-resident alien since I don't pass the two tests. I don't think I can file a joint return with my wife and choose to be treated as residents, right? I sure can use some help.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 09:57 PM
    If you have been in the U.S. for at least the month of December in 2007, you meet the criteria to file jointly with your wife.

You will just have to wait a little longer to file.

Jan 16, 2008, 08:55 AM
    So, I assume that I should file an extension and wait until I pass the significant presence test. Right?

Thanks for the answer. I did some research and see that your customers have some really nice things to say about your service. Therefore, I'd like to seek your professional help on preparing my 2007 tax return. Questions:

1. What is Platinum Package? I should buy one, if you are preparing for one return, even if it is a joint return, is that correct?
    2. Is state/city tax return included in the package? I am in New York city.

You can email me at [email protected] if you don't want to answer online.

Thanks.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Right!

I CANNOT discuss any package on this forum (forum rules), so I will email the answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B, Non-resident spouse overseas, Filing Status [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working in the US on H1B since Aug 2006 (more than a year as of date). Last month, in Dec 2007, I returned to my home country to get married. Subsequently, I came back to US to continue working, while my spouse still remains in the home country as she needs to work. We have plans...

W4 marital status filling? Non-resident on F1 OPT married with non-resident on F2 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just got married, in Massachusetts, on August 10th 2007, and now I started to understand a little bit better how the W4 form works for non-residents in F1 Visa with an OPT (Optional Practical Training) autorization. The situation is that my wife is on a F1 Visa, she graduated on May...

Dual Status resident filing [ 1 Answers ]

I arrived in United States in March 2006 on H1B and my wife joined me in October 2006 as H4. I am aware that I am a non resident until March and then became resident alien for the remaining year. Since my wife joined me in October she is a non resident alien and can I claim her on my taxes as an...

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

Tax treaty and resident filing status [ 5 Answers ]

I am a nonresident alien in the US on a student visa since 1998. Due to the substantial presence test I have been applying as a resident alien for tax purposes since the 2003 tax year. I got married in 2005, so for 2005 I filled the form 1040EZ as "married, filing jointly". I intend to do the same...

View more questions Search