Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 10:33 AM
    AFCI Breakers
    For the purpose of discussion:

Now that the 2008 NEC mandates AFCI breakers be used in new construction, should older breakers be upgraded on an as needed basis. By that I mean if you need to replace a breaker (15 or 20 amp) should you replace it with an AFCI beaker, even though not required by the NEC.
    tmentec15 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 10:45 AM
    I would change all of your circuit breakers to AFCI if your house is over 30 years old except you shouldn't change the breaker to AFCI if it had a GFCI outlet connected to it. If your house is under 30 years old, chances are that all of your wiring has been properly but as a backup safety feature it is good to have arc fault protection
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 01:07 PM
    AFCI breakers have been required since at least 2002 edition of the Code on a more limited basis than the 2008 edition.

You are correct in that replacing a breaker with an AFCI is not required, as the NEC is only for new installations during the period the adopted code is in effect.

No existing installation is required by code to be brought up to the new code.

Replacing a defective breaker, or for whatever reason a breaker is being replaced, may be upgraded to an AFCI if desired, however, the installer will need to check the wiring, as older homes were popular with using shared neutrals, which will not work with single pole AFCI breakers.

Only a couple of manufacturers make two pole breakers that work with shared neutrals, but they are very expensive.

I live in a home built in 1995, and I will not be upgrading any breakers to AFCI.

If a customer requests an upgrade, and if the wiring is suited, I will be glad to sell them the job.

Jul 24, 2008, 01:30 PM
    What about a residence with aluminum wiring?

My niece's residence was done with aluminum wiring and I have already repaired one circuit with an AL/CO snap switch and non oxidant. Would you consider using AFCI breakers given the older aluminum's penchant for arching?

By the way, I thought that sharing neutrals has always been taboo, thanks for the info.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmentec15
    ....except you shouldn't change the breaker to AFCI if it had a GFCI outlet connected to it.
    Care to explain why?
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Jul 24, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmentec15
    except you shouldn't change the breaker to AFCI if it had a GFCI outlet connected to it.
    That's just wrong, AFCI breakers work perfectly well in conjunction with GFCI outlets. On the other hand if you had a GFCI breaker you shouldn't, in most cases, replace it with an AFCI.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 03:31 PM
    I know the ARC Fault is required for Bedrooms, Is it, or when is whole house in effect?
    Donf, That I know of, sharing neutrals is Very Commonly used. It is safe, EXCEPT if the Neutral is opened, If you Make good connections, and don't open neutral while both breakers are on, It is safe, and you can have More circuits in a conduit.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 24, 2008, 06:43 PM
    For AFCI's the NEC 2008 states: All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Start,

It's (The 2008 NEC 210.12) effective when your area chooses or decides to use it.

Jul 25, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Tev,
    AFCI and GFCI provide entirely different services. As I understand it, there are combination breakers available, but they are very expensive.

You definitely can not use an AFCI breaker in place of NEC mandated GFCI circuits.

However, I wonder if you can use an AFCI breaker in conjunction with a GFCI receptacle?
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 25, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    Tev,
    AFCI and GFCI provide entirely different services. As I understand it, there are combination breakers available, but they are very expensive.

You definitely can not use an AFCI breaker in place of NEC mandated GFCI circuits.

However, I wonder if you can use an AFCI breaker in conjunction with a GFCI receptacle?
    -Yeah CH is one company that carries the combo's.
    -Yes you can use a GFCI receptacle on a AFCI circuit.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Jul 26, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    Tev,

Donf,

I wrote this...

"That's just wrong, AFCI breakers work perfectly well in conjunction with GFCI outlets. On the other hand if you had a GFCI breaker you shouldn't, in most cases, replace it with an AFCI."

I was unclear in my wording. I wrote GFCI outlet but meant GFCI receptacle. Basically, AFCI breakers and GFCI receptacles do work together.

I know they provide differing protections and would never replace a mandated GFCI with an AFCI. I was trying to say that if there were a GFCI breaker on a circuit where it was not required it could be replaced with an AFCI breaker.

In short, I apologize if my wording was poorly chosen and will try to be more clear and precise in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attempting to install GFCI circuit breakers (3 wires for 2 breakers) [ 6 Answers ]

OK here is my situation I have a Siemens box in my home I'm installing GFCI breakers to bring it up to code for insurance purposes Only thing is 4 rooms in this home are for some reason wired together on 3 wires (red black and white) connected to two separate breakers (30 Amps each) (two rooms...

AFCI installation troubleshooting [ 5 Answers ]

I just installed an AFCI breaker for the lighting in my upstairs bedrooms. The breaker does not trip with all lights turned off, but does trip when any switch is turned on. Does nec require afci for lighting , or just outlets, and any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Afci or gfci for dishwasher connection? [ 1 Answers ]

Should I use a afci or a gfci circuit breaker to directly connect a dishwasher to the circuit breaker box?

View more questions Search