Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mvanderkamp Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Apr 5, 2006, 07:29 PM
    Venting for basement washroom
    We are looking to install a washroom (toilet and sink) in our basement. There is a rough-in for the toilet - black pipe with cap- but no other pipes visible. Our home is about 5 years old, and this was installed at the time of construction.
    We have been told that in order to vent the toilet and sink, a pipe has to be installed that goes all the way up and out our roof. The concrete is still intact around the rough-in. Is there the possibility that the venting hookup is somewhere in or beneath the concrete floor? Also, since we can't find any piping in the walls that could be venting for the sink, can the sink be vented from the same system as the toilet - if this is present?

If there is no venting system hookup, would the new venting system have to go all the way up to our roof, or could it be vented at ground level, which is several feet above the floodline of the toilet and sink that are to be installed.

Many thanks for any advice!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 6, 2006, 12:11 PM
    "We have been told that in order to vent the toilet and sink, a pipe has to be installed that goes all the way up and out our roof. The concrete is still intact around the rough-in. Is there the possibility that the venting hookup is somewhere in or beneath the concrete floor? Also, since we can't find any piping in the walls that could be venting for the sink, can the sink be vented from the same system as the toilet - if this is present?"
    If there isn't another smaller pipe to plck up the lavatory that will vent the toilet also then the plumber didn't leave a vent and cement will have to be taken up to cut in a 2" lavatory drain and stub -up.

"If there is no venting system hookup, would the new venting system have to go all the way up to our roof, or could it be vented at ground level, which is several feet above the floodline of the toilet and sink that are to be installed."

If you're asking if you can terminate a vent in the basement the answer is no, however, if local codes allow you may vent your syatem using a AAV, Air Admittance Valve) cheater vent,(see image).
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement venting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a manufactured home with a full basement. The basement has a bath area built in, but not complete. The ceiling is not yet installed. I can see the main drain pipe which runs horizontially along the interior of the out side wall. Another main drain pipe runs down from this to the floor of...

Venting basement sink [ 6 Answers ]

I am just putting a sink in our basement / garage. I have purchased an above ground sump pump with box, which the sink will drain to and the discharge will go vertical about 6' and tie into the main line, which exits the house through the basement wall. Since it is just a sink, can I get away...

Basement Rough-in Venting? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey All, Speedball got me rolling as did the help from a family friend. I have questions regarding how to vent my set-up. I'm basically building what I would consider a gally like bathroom with all fixtures inline over a central 4" drain. My basement is layed out as such from left to right...

Venting Basement Sump Pit [ 1 Answers ]

First a little background. I'm finishing a bathroom in my basement that was roughed in while the house was being built. I have a sump-pit that needs to be vented. Due to hvac and plumbing obstructions, I will need to extend the plumber provided vent pipe from the floor above a few inches below...

Basement Venting [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved into a year old home that has an unfinished basement. There are rough-ins for a toilet, shower and sink already in place. My questions is what venting needs to be added for these rough-ins or are these vented through the existing plumbing already (or how can I tell)?

View more questions Search