Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicholas655 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Water backing up washing machine pipe.
    Hello everyone, I just found this site and thought it would be a good idea to post my problem to try and get an answer, I recently bought a house and found out later on that the washer and dryer were upstairs and were moved to the basement , but they didn't cap off the drain pipe for the washer upstairs, so every now and then water would accumulate in that pipe and fall out on the floor and gype rock wall, so I was wondering how the water could be coming out from there if I am not using a washer upstairs , I am guessing this pipe vents to the outside somewhere.I went to rent a snake but I can't get it through more than a foot and a half through before it hits an elbow and blocks. Thank you all in advance.

-Nicholas
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 23, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Hey Nick,
    You are correct in assuming that you have aq blockage in the drain line.
    I went to rent a snake but I can't get it through more than a foot and a half through before it hits an elbow and blocks.
    You must run the snake down the washer roof vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base and 20 feet more, good luck, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 07:04 AM
    If you can't get the snake in more than 18" before hitting the trap some one must have cut off part of the stand pipe. How high is it above the floor. If it in no longer needed, cap it off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water overflows from drain pipe for washing machine [ 3 Answers ]

When my washing machine drains, the water from the pipe overflows. What can I do besides calling a plumber? Thanks in advance. Grams!

Water backing up from washing machine into kutchen sink [ 8 Answers ]

Last night, while the washing machine was on its rinse cycle, water began backing up through both sides of the kitchen sink.. The water was gray/ black.

Washing Machine drain Backing up [ 15 Answers ]

Another drain backing up! Every time we do laundry the water backsup & out over the drain. The vertical pipe is about 4ft off the floor & drains into its own dry well.. This has been this way for years no changes or additions. This new drainage problem has started I would say in the...

Water backs up in washing machine drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a washing machine drain pipe (PVC) that I can see has some standing water in it, about 18 inches from the top. When the spin cycle starts, the water overflows after about 10 seconds. I tried baking soda/vinegar and drain cleaner, and neither made a difference in the drainage or the...

Washing Machine Drain Backing UP [ 5 Answers ]

I am having a serious problem with my washing machine drain. First some background, I live in a 1 year old double-wide manufactured house. The washing machine drain is 1-1/2". The top of the drain is about 4' off the floor. The drain goes down about 28" before the "J" trap, then over about 6"...

View more questions Search