Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bubba42345 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 10:13 PM
    Washing Machine Drain Backing UP
    I am having a serious problem with my washing machine drain. First some background, I live in a 1 year old double-wide manufactured house. The washing machine drain is 1-1/2". The top of the drain is about 4' off the floor. The drain goes down about 28" before the "J" trap, then over about 6" and then a 90 degree. At the 90 degree a pipe goes down under the house and a pipe up for the vent which has a mechanical plumbing vent about 18" up.

Now here is my problem, I own a Maytag washer that's about 12 years old. The washer drain is backing up and coming out of the top of the stand drain pipe. The house manufacture has been here several times to try to fix my problem but as of yet nothing has help. The drain was first snaked, all clean. Then they put on a new mechanical plumbing vent, thinking it wasn't working right, didn't help. Then they went under the house and put in a new line going straight to the 3" and into the septic, no help. The manufacture says that it must be my washer putting out to much water at once but the washer has been in 3 other houses besides this one with no problems at all. I have asked them (many times) about the drain being 1-1/2" and not 2" and they keep telling that's not the problem. They also said that it could be my septic, something about a filter in the septic could get cloged if I use Charmin toilet paper. The gentleman that put in my septic says that it's not my septic because if it was it would backup other places in the house and not just the washing machine. Please help me!!

Thanks,

Scott
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 28, 2007, 07:21 AM
    I think it is a problem to have a 1.5" drain pipe for a washer. Disconnect your 1.5" pipe from the 3" drain, run a load of clean water and let it drain. If it backs up you have isolated the problem to the 1.5" drain.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 28, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Bal nailed it. The newer Maytag washers have a stronger pump that puts out too much discharge for a 1 1/2" trap and standpipe to handle. We had a women that had the same problem as you. Maytag had to take back her washer and send her a different model. Good luck, Tom

Jul 28, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Bal nailed it. The newer Maytag washers have a stronger pump that puts out too much discharge for a 1 1/2" trap and standpipe to handle. we had a women that had the same problem as you. Maytag had to take back her washer and send her a different model. Good luck, Tom

Tom,

I got to reading some of your other post. I see that you use a compression fitting on your washing machine. Where can one get a compression fitting like that? Lowe's, Home Depot?? Can you use that with ABS pipe?

Thanks

Scott
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 28, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba42345
    Tom,

I got to reading some of your other post. I see that you use a compression fitting on your washing machine. Where can one get a compression fitting like that?? Lowes, Home Depot??? Can you use that with ABS pipe??

Thanks

Scott
    Hey Scott,

The fitting's called a compression fitting, (see image). This will glue on the standpipe and compress on the hose. I've had one on my washer for years. Good luck, Tom

Jul 28, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Scott,

The fitting's called a compression fitting, (see image). This will glue on the standpipe and compress on the hose. I've had one on my washer for years. good luck, Tom

Where can I get a compression fitting?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water backing up from washing machine into kutchen sink [ 8 Answers ]

Last night, while the washing machine was on its rinse cycle, water began backing up through both sides of the kitchen sink.. The water was gray/ black.

Washing Machine drain Backing up [ 15 Answers ]

Another drain backing up! Every time we do laundry the water backsup & out over the drain. The vertical pipe is about 4ft off the floor & drains into its own dry well.. This has been this way for years no changes or additions. This new drainage problem has started I would say in the...

Washing Machine Drain- How high can machine lift H2O [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Thinking about moving the washer down in the basement but the main sewer drain leaving the house is about 2' off the floor. There is currently a sewer lift installed for downstairs toilet that complicated cutting into the existing drain for new Y. Without getting to detailed, there is an...

Sump pump backing up into washing machine drain [ 5 Answers ]

I just connected my new sump pump (1 1/2” line) to my vertical stack (2”). This is connected to the stack with a tee approximately 6-8” below where my washing machine tee. When my sump pump turned on, it back flowed out of my washing machine drain. What can I do to keep the water from coming out...

View more questions Search