Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bkapoor Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 07:40 AM
    State Taxes : Connecticut and Pennsylvania
    Hello:

I was living in CT during the beginning half of 2005 on an F1 visa. I graduated and moved to Pennsylvania in May 2005 and have been on an OPT and then an H1B visa for the remainder of the year. I have 2 W-2s : one from my university in CT and another from my current employer in PA.

Since I had earnings in 2 states, I am required to file returns in both (as a part-year resident). Do I need to report my earnings for the entire 2005 tax year to both states (as reported on my Federal 1040NR-EZ form) ? If so, do I have to file additional forms to make sure that I do not end up paying double taxes ? Or, can I just report only my "state" income to the individual states based on the respective W-2s ?

I realise that this is a very specific state-oriented question and this is probably not the right forum for such a query. But I am hoping that someone who has been in a similar situation might be able to provide some direction. In short, I would like to know if it is a norm to :
    a) report the entire year's income to both states and file additional paperwork to exclude the out-of-state income, OR
    b) report only the income earned in a state to that state

Thanks a lot,

Bhavna
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

Mar 29, 2006, 08:32 AM
    That's funny because I lived for 5m in PA, and then moved to CT, having income in both states.

So, yes you are a PY for both.

Now, PA is easy because there is a tax rate ( 3.07% ). As a PY for PA, you have to report income during your residency period in PA : interests, income...

As a PY in CT, same story : the income that is taxable in CT is the income that was generated when a resident of CT.
    However, the form for CT asks you to report you federal income ( PA + CT ) on line 1. But then, there are schedules to differentiate what was from which state : CT 1040 AW and CT-SI .
    bkapoor Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Thanks Catseyes !

Appreciate your prompt and precise response. :)

-Bhavna
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Catseyes guidance is accurate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outrageous State Taxes? - Please Help! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am single and work in NJ, but I moved my residence from NJ to NYC in May 04. I have experienced an amazing increase of state taxes since then: For 2003: on $64k income, I paid ~$2k tax to NJ state For 2004: on $73k income, I paid ~$300 tax to NJ state, $2.3k tax to NY state (NYC...

2 state Taxes [ 12 Answers ]

I have another question for taxes for 2005. I was in WIsconsin for 140 days till May 20th. Rest I was in WAshington (no State Taxes) On Nov 7th Moved my status from OPT(F1) to H1. Will I get back the state tax I paid on my income in WI or is it gone. Also my understanding is that...

State taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I have seen this topic on the board, but I just need further clarification: I lived in NJ but worked in NYC in 2005. ON my W-2 in box 15 I have both NJ and NY then in box 16 I have 2 different state wages. In box 17- I only have state income tax for NY and not for NJ. My question is- when I...

CPT+fed and state taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on F1-CPT in the state of CO while studying for 8 months in the year 2005. My employer did not withhold any taxes. So, I assume that I have to pay Federal and state taxes this year. My income for 2005 has been $11,600. I assume I have to pay around $550 in Federal and $165 in state...

View more questions Search