Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msadj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 10:51 PM
    State taxes
    I have seen this topic on the board, but I just need further clarification:

I lived in NJ but worked in NYC in 2005. ON my W-2 in box 15 I have both NJ and NY then in box 16 I have 2 different state wages. In box 17- I only have state income tax for NY and not for NJ.

My question is- when I am filing my taxes (I am using an online tax prep program), how would I go about this? Should my employer have taken out taxes for NY- or should taxes have been taken out for NJ as well? As of now- I owe the state of NJ and I just want to be sure that I am filling out the form correctly.

Thanks for your help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2006, 09:58 AM
    MSADJ:

If you worked the entire time in NYC and lived the entire time in NJ, then the state wages for both NY and NJ should be the same.

You will pay the taxes to NY state.

Since you do not live in NYC, you are exempt from NYC income taxes.

You need to file with NJ. However, since NY state tax rates are higher than NJ and NJ gives you a credit for taxes paid to NY, you should owe nothing to NJ and in fact should get a small rebate due to either the rneter's credit or the property tax credit.

Suggest you determine why the state wages are different.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outrageous State Taxes? - Please Help! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am single and work in NJ, but I moved my residence from NJ to NYC in May 04. I have experienced an amazing increase of state taxes since then: For 2003: on $64k income, I paid ~$2k tax to NJ state For 2004: on $73k income, I paid ~$300 tax to NJ state, $2.3k tax to NY state (NYC...

Georgia state taxes-OPT-H1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello- I was wondering if anyone could help me with my Georgia state taxes This is my employment history Aug 2002-Dec 2004- F1 (Wisconsin) Feb 2005-October 2005- OPT (Atlanta, GA) November 2005 to present - H1 (Atlanta, GA)

2 state Taxes [ 12 Answers ]

I have another question for taxes for 2005. I was in WIsconsin for 140 days till May 20th. Rest I was in WAshington (no State Taxes) On Nov 7th Moved my status from OPT(F1) to H1. Will I get back the state tax I paid on my income in WI or is it gone. Also my understanding is that...

CPT+fed and state taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on F1-CPT in the state of CO while studying for 8 months in the year 2005. My employer did not withhold any taxes. So, I assume that I have to pay Federal and state taxes this year. My income for 2005 has been $11,600. I assume I have to pay around $550 in Federal and $165 in state...

View more questions Search