Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calash Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 06:14 PM
    More Heat from Hot air system
    I have a forced hot air heating system. House is a small cape. About 1500 SF living area. I. use about 550 Gallons of heating oil in a season. With oil at $4.50 per gal.I want to try to squeeze more efficiency out of the system. Furnace is 24 years old. I know the new burners have a pre and post purge / ignition that helps increase efficiency but I question if a new burner would gain much except in the few seconds of start up and shut down I have been impressed with the Riello burners but I do not know if it would be cost effective to change from the Beckett AR that I currently have.
    The duct work always seems pretty warm down cellar. I was thinking of increasing fan speed to move more air through the system. Would this require resetting the fan controls for fan off and fan on?
    Opinions and advice are most welcome!
    Best Regards
    Calash
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Wow, that's almost 2500 bucks a heating season,don`t know where you live,but that's a bunch of money to get through a winter,, don`t blame you I would be looking to make some changes,in 5 or 6 seasons you could have replaced your heat system with something other than a oil heating system.I would look into other choices
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 09:17 PM
    I agree with wmproop, I think natural gas or propane work be worth looking into, at 24 years old I would guess that your system is very inefficient. I know around here outdoor wood stoves are a big hit, maybe this is an option for you?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 09:21 PM
    You have to use a slower fan speed to transfer more heat to the hot air, not a faster one. Typical AC/Heat use a low speed for heat and a higher speed for cool. Cool gets the higher speed primarily beause the air movement causes evaporationwhich makes you feel cooler.

For now, I'll leave variable and multi-speed alone.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 09:40 PM
    While fuel oil is considered the "old fuel" by today's standards, it is still more efficient than propane and natural gas. Those factors need to be considered before making any changes. With fuel oil offering 134,000 BTU per gallon, natural gas is 100,000 BTU (equivalent) and propane is 91,000 BTU per gallon the change over needs to be well thought out. But fuel oil is the dirtiest, the highest maintenenence of all. Think about replacing or insulating the ducts. Call in a professional to help evaluate your system, not just a salesman wanting to change your heating fuel.
    Best of luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane vs Carrier AC/heat system? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in central Florida and in the process of choosing a new system for my AC/Heat. My decision is between Trane and Carrier. We are looking a using a reputable dealer/installer so that is not a problem. The system we are looking at using is a 13 SEER unit with a variable speed air handler...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

No Heat on Top Floor with Boiler System-why? [ 5 Answers ]

Good Morning, I have a newer boiler system-1998 in a 2 story house, (but it still has an old style expansion tank). I have 15lbs pressure reading on the gauge, but I do not have any heat in 2 radiators on the top floor. I have tried to bleed, but little or no air is coming out of the...

System calling for heat but no response from system [ 1 Answers ]

My thermostat is set to 25 which is higher than the current temperature but my heating system is not firing up.. we have hot water - the boiler is a Micron - the heating timer is set to "on" on the program setting, and so is hot water which is fine but we have no heating, it was on earlier and went...

5 Wire 24v AC/Heat System [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a home. Had no thermostat. Putting in Honeywell CT3500 Programmable. Have Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, White. AC works but no heat. Thermostat came with R jumpered to Rc. How do I wire this to get AC and heat? Thank you. I need to also explain that I did put the appropriate wires...

View more questions Search