Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinkween Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Is this genital herpes?
    Hey there... this is kind of embarrassing to ask, but... I've had some discomfort with my vagina, it's like overly sensitive to touch and it itches a bit, I've also had some discharge in the form of white-ish stuff that's not too watery. After looking at my area in the mirror, I also noticed some redness around the vagina. Now I have never had vaginal intercourse if that's any help, but last week I was with a guy and we did some stuff... but the only part of his body that came in touch with my vagina or genital area were his hands/fingers.

I don't know if I have some kind of infection or if I've contracted an STD, I've been reading online and nothing I read seems to tell me anything. Help please, I can't afford a gyno right now and public healthcare in my country is too lame to consider. Help:confused:
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jul 7, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Hi, I know that you may not be comfortable talking to a guy about your women issue, but I assure you I am not going to make fun of you nore be rude. I have a few books that may help to find an answer to your problem. But as from what I can tell from your small message or what I could see of it, it sounds like you may have an STD, I'm not sure what I'll go check and be back in a flash to let you know what I find.

IF you're OK with that??

Can you tell me if the discharge smells fishy or yeasty? It sounds like a yeast infection, if my book is right, which it is by doctors. So, better go see a doctor. It says don't douche, because it could drive the infectious material up through the cervix into the uterus, or change the bacteria in the vagina and cause pelvic inflammatory disease. More too come...

My book says it's a good idea if it is a yeast infection to, take 500milligrams of vitamin C twice a day. Also cut down on Sugars, and anything with yeast, or mold in it.

But I think it best to go get a doctor to take a look at it. Best wishes for you. Take care of yourself eh.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 7, 2008, 07:39 AM
    It sounds as though you may have a yeast infection. This is very common in women. VERY common.

One question... have you been on any antibiotics recently? Antibiotics can cause yeast infections.

Otherwise, as you may or may not know, it is impossible to diagnose you over the internet. You can try some over-the-counter medication called Monistat. It is for yeast infections. If it does not go away in about 3 days, it is time for a professional opinion (doctor's appointment).

Jul 7, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Thank you guys so very much! Nestorian, thank you for all your research and J_9 for your medication advice. I'm going to give it a try. As for the smell of the discharge, I checked and it doesn't have any significant smell, does this mean something? Oh, and just one last thing since I'm posting, Nestorian, you said I might have an STD.. Is this possible given the "form" of sexual activity that I had?

Thank you so much!
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 10:24 AM
    As J_9 said, it seems more like a yeast infection. Given the circumstances, it seems unlikely that this is an std. Do you have have a strong urge to urinate or does it burn when you actually do urinate?

Jul 7, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Well, yeah, it burns a little bit. I just read that yeast infections could be caused by stress and lack of sleep, both of which I've had plenty in the last couple of weeks, so it certainly seems right.
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jul 7, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Ah, yes, the STD thought was only a thought, sorry didn't mean to scare you, but it's always a good idea to get checked to make sure, but I'd go with what J_9 said, it's very unlikely that you got an STD from Finger to vaginal contact, though it is possible. If it smells Fishy, or yeasty, then it's a lot more likely to be a yeast infection. Though it doesn't smell like it, it still could very well be.

Also if you need to take antibiotics and you know you get yeast infections, ask your doc for anti-yeast medications. (Antibiotics taken for other infections kill off both friendly and unfreindly bacteria in the vagina, clearing the way for an overgrowth of yeast.)

Try eating a cup a day of yogart with active Lactobacillus acidophilus cultures, it's supoesd to reduce the likelihood of yeast infections.

Well, I hope it clears up for you soon, and it may be a good idea to try and relax a bit now that schools over for the summer. Try to take some time to just chill, try to avoid alcohol as it makes you pee more, and it feeds the yeast infection, well most do any way. With that take care and peace be with you.
    Sue2008 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkween
    Hey there... this is kind of embarrassing to ask, but... I've had some discomfort with my vagina, it's like overly sensitive to touch and it itches a bit, I've also had some discharge in the form of white-ish stuff that's not too watery. After looking at my area in the mirror, I also noticed some redness around the vagina. Now I have never had vaginal intercourse if that's any help, but last week I was with a guy and we did some stuff... but the only part of his body that came in touch with my vagina or genital area were his hands/fingers.

I don't know if I have some kind of infection or if I've contracted an STD, I've been reading online and nothing I read seems to tell me anything. Help please, I can't afford a gyno right now and public healthcare in my country is too lame to consider. Help:confused:
    Sounds like yeast infection. I've had plenty of these in my life. You can buy some over the counter medicine that works well... it can't hurt. If it continues, definitely seek medical attention. But, what your describing sounds like a yeast infection.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 07:41 PM
    I will ask, what county is this, since the US system is pretty good for this.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I will ask, what county is this, since the US system is pretty good for this.
    Chuck, do you have your threads mixed up? Why does the county matter with a woman with a yeast infection?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 08:40 PM
    No, her original post, she was asking about medical care, and even std testing if that was needed said in her country the public healthcare was "lame" was looking at helping address where she may look for medical care for this if needed.
    samantha360 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 09:07 PM
    Sounds like a yeast infection. I would get some meds for that and see if it works. If not see a doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Genital area rash.doesn't look like herpes. [ 2 Answers ]

About 6 weeks ago I was kind of itchy around my anus so I tried hemroid cream and it didn't work and then it got much worse.. when I looked at it it looks like an abrasion... and it grew out in diameter... by the end of the 2nd week it was much larger... very red, open wound like abrasion.. I went...

What's the difference between genital warts and genital calluses? [ 2 Answers ]

I think I may have one or the other, but I'm not sure which. How do you tell them apart, and are they treatable? I just have one little white bump around the opening, which is pushing me towards callouses because I have heard that warts come in goups and are painful, while this doesn't bother me...

Genital herpes can't really tell and scared to death [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had an outbreak if that's what u call it... I can remember having one earlier this yr but it came after I masturbated a few times the day before... the bumps look similar to some of the photos I've seen but then again they don't... I haven't had the itching, the hurting or the thick...

Do I have genital herpes? [ 5 Answers ]

I haver had these bumps on my penis right before the head and don't really itch or hurt but sometimes feel uncomfortable. I had intercourse with a girl who said she doesn't have any stds but I kind of feel that she didn't know and now I might have herpes

Could it be genital herpes? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so about 4 months ago I had protected sexual intercourse one time with a girl who later tested positive for hsv 2. I did not notice any herpes symptoms until about a month ago which is uncharicteristic because I have read they usually appear within 2 to 20 days after exposure. Anyhow,...

View more questions Search