Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nkis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Hot to grnd shows 120v
    The 120v light on the tested comes up when it touch hot and the ground(bare). Is this normal?

More info:

The 120v light comes on when I touch the neutral(white) and the hot(black). I think this is OK.

The light doesn't come up when I touch the neutral(white) and the ground(bare). I think this is OK as well.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 02:01 PM
    All your test are normal and OK. Ground and Neutral are at the same potential.
    nkis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    All your test are normal and OK. Ground and Neutral are at the same potential.
    Thanks for the response.

However, at other receptacles, the light comes on only when I touch hot(black) and neutral (white).

Just worrying as to why only at one light location, the hot and ground turn on my tester light.
    If this happened else where I would be less worried, and assume normal as you say.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Not having voltage between the hot and ground terminals of a receptacle is not a good thing. That means someone replaces a non-grounding type (2-prong) receptacle with a grounding type where no ground is present.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 05:08 PM
    If you are getting voltage between hot and neutral, and not hot and ground on a 3 prong receptacle then the green or bare wire is not making a connection, plastic boxes will need a ground wire connected to the receptacle. If Metal, you use to rely on metal conduit and boxes. It proved to be dangerous if a short was present and conduit was separated. It would not trip breaker but could shock/kill someone going through an attic and grabbed both sides. Attics are hot down here and sweat makes it more dangerous.
    Do you have grounds present in recepticles? Panel will give a quick indication of what wire is used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlet Question: Open Neutral - Hot / Grnd Reverse? [ 6 Answers ]

This past weekend two outlets and one light fixture went dead in my basement after turning on my stereo. I checked the breakers and none had tripped, so I re-set the one in question just to be sure. Still dead. I haven't been in this house too long, so I thought to check for another breaker...

120v to 240v [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! If anybody could help me with this it would be great. I'm looking at buying a festool saw from america which runs on 120v but tools and electrical equipment in austraila run on 240v. Is there anything I can do to make it work and if so is it going to be a hassle??

Do I need a converter from 240 V to 120V [ 2 Answers ]

HI... Do I need for a converter from 240 Volt to 120 Volt... cuse I have some electrical equipement which is working on 240 Volt.. now I want to use this equipment in the countries with 120 Volt... Do I need for converter or NOT?? reply me on the below email address Email...

120v to 220v? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a boat which is 240v 50 amp and the marina can only get me two 120v 50 amp circuits to me. Can anyone tell me if I can tie two 120v 50amp circuits into one 240v 50amp circuit. It would be greatly appreciated

View more questions Search