Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thanna00 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 05:01 AM
    Wiring a 1.5 hp pool pump with a lighting timer and relay
    I have a 1.5 hp pool pump and am trying to incorporate a timer. I need to control the pool pump from our kitchen and I don't want one of those ugly gray timer boxes hanging on our kitchen wall. The only other place to put the timer is down in the basement and I don't want to go downstairs each time I need to turn on the pool pump (for those times I need to turn it on other than when the timer has it on - ex. To vaccuum). Thus, I thought I could hook up the timer over a 3-way switch. The only timer I found that can do this is made by Aube and is over $100. The cheaper timers are manual and cannot be hooked up 3 way. I thought I might be able to use a standard digital 3-way lighting timer (cannot handle a 1.5 hp motor alone), which I already have, along with a relay. Therefore, the high amps would never actually reach the lighting timer. Can anyone help?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 05:21 AM
    You could use the 3 way switching to control a 2 pole 30 Amp Contactor.
    Thanna00 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanna00
    I have a 1.5 hp pool pump and am trying to incorporate a timer. I need to control the pool pump from our kitchen and I don't want one of those ugly gray timer boxes hanging on our kitchen wall. The only other place to put the timer is down in the basement and I don't want to go downstairs each time I need to turn on the pool pump (for those times I need to turn it on other than when the timer has it on - ex. to vaccuum). Thus, I thought I could hook up the timer over a 3-way switch. The only timer I found that can do this is made by Aube and is over $100. The cheaper timers are manual and cannot be hooked up 3 way. I thought I might be able to use a standard digital 3-way lighting timer (cannot handle a 1.5 hp motor alone), which I already have, along with a relay. Therefore, the high amps would never actually reach the lighting timer. Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance. Is a 2 pole 30 amp contactor the same thing as a relay? Where can I find this?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pool pump timer [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace my intermatic timer and had a freeze protector a polaris pump and a pool pump attached to it. My handy man (not an Electrician) hooked up these things to to my intermatic timer and the only thing that works now is the polaris pump (my hayward superpump pool pump is two weeks...

Pool pump and booster pump timer diagrams [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a diagram that shows how to hookup two intermatic timers to the pool pump and the booster pump. Running 220volts

Pool Timer & pump electrical connection [ 5 Answers ]

If one hooks up a pool pump to an intermatic timer incorrectly, can it blow the pump? I didn't hear anything. Is there a way to tell if the pump is bl;wn or just hooked up wrong? Thanks.

Timer For Aboveground Pool Pump [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I am a pool novice. I have a frameset aboveground pool with a cheesy pump - 1/16 HP, 120V. It's plugged into a heavy duty garage outlet, but it's not clear if it's a GFCI. What kind of pump timer can I use that is safe and inexpensive, possibly GFCI? Thanks!

Wiring Timer Clock, Off /On switch to Pool Pump [ 3 Answers ]

I recently replaced an underground electrical line for my pool pump. Now I'm not certain of the hookup from the main power (220)to the timer clock (also 220)into the manual off/on switch mounted in it's own box on the back of the timer box, to the pump motor. Can anyone help me here. It's a single...

View more questions Search