Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Obama's drift to the center is driving his supporters crazy
    Or let's put it this way... Arianna Huffington is warning Barack the centrist not to throw Barack the lib under the bus.

Arianna Huffington: Memo to Obama: Moving to the Middle is for Losers - Politics on The Huffington Post

The one thing that stands out that is really driving them nuts is his declared support for the FISA compromise.
    Given the legitimate threats we face, providing effective intelligence collection tools with appropriate safeguards is too important to delay. So I support the compromise, but do so with a firm pledge that as president, I will carefully monitor the program

This of course is a flip from the position he took in the primaries .

"I am proud to stand with Senator Dodd, Senator Feingold and a grassroots movement of Americans who are refusing to let President Bush put protections for special interests ahead of our security and our liberty."

Moveon.org is calling on Obama to honor his pledge to filibuster the compromise when it comes to a vote in the Senate
    MoveOn.org Political Action: Democracy in Action

I would advise them to not hold their breath . My guess is that he will find a way to skip the vote like he did last time when he was too busy campaigning for the Potomic primaries.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Yeah Im not happy about this. But what are you going to do vote for Mcain HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Yes . I am not a big fan of McCain's by any means .But Obama is a camillion.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom
    Yeah Im not happy about this. but what are you gonna do vote for Mcain HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Um... yes.
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 10:30 AM
    If that angers you spitvenom theny you'll love this one

Obama to expand Bush's faith based programs
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    if that angers you spitvenom theny you'll love this one

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's... EVERYMAN!

Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 10:54 AM
    What a day!
    I haven't even had time to deal with the disgusting Weasely Clarke's comments . But I did notice in Obama's patriotism speech he did manage a smack down of Moveon.org.'s General Betrayus snipe.

"most evident during our recent debates about the war in Iraq, when those who opposed administration policy were tagged by some as unpatriotic, and a general providing his best counsel on how to move forward in Iraq was accused of betrayal.”
    Is that a move to the center ;a sista soulja moment ,or did he really throw moveon.org under the bus ?

Evita is saying I told you so
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    if that angers you spitvenom theny you'll love this one

It is BS to hire or fire someone because of their religion. But I am not angered by either one of these decision's. He has to do what he needs to do to win. I look at Obama as just another Politician. I can see people getting angry if they didn't look at Obama as just another politician but he is. And if you are gullible enough to believe everything that comes out of a politician's mouth that is your own fault. Sadly I think a lot of people look at Obama as Superman which we all know isn't true. He is just a politician. But he is still better then a Republican!!
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 11:47 AM
    I look at Obama as just another Politician.
    Me too . As I said ;I'm just watching the onion skin peeling away all the hype.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Crashing in Vietnam and being held and tortured is not a qualification to be President!! See #3!!

MCCAIN IS A TOTAL CAMELEON!
    MCCAIN, ER MCBUSH, ***THE CAMELEON***

1. He opposed tax cuts to the wealthy; now supports them

2. Sponsored major campaign finalcial reform in a bill that bears his name; now against.

3. Was firmly against torture; now for torture.

4. Has been on both sides of the ethanol issue, for and against.

5. Has been on both sides of state promotion of the confederate flag; for and against.

6. Has been on both sides of overturning Roe v Wade; was against, now for.

7. Criticized religious right with comments like”agents of intolerance”; now sought
    Support of Haggee and other right wing hatemongers.

8. Was against sending more troops to Iraq before he was for it.

9. Was against OFFSHORE DRILLING A MONTH AGO(May 08)NOW FOR
    DRILLING OFF CALIFORNIA AND FLORIDA

There are three pages of McCain flipflops, these are just some of them. :D

He's a piece of crap with no integrity whatsoever. He would do or say anything to be President.

Scum.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 07:58 PM
    And Obama on Iraq: "Obama zigzags on Iraq [Pete Hegseth]

Recent reports and rumors have indicated that Senator Obama plans to aggressively move to the middle on Iraq in the coming months. This is a good political move for Obama, if only because he's finally starting to recognize reality. However, it's no surprise that he will continue to try and have it both ways: moderating his withdrawal language without giving any credit to surge/Petraeus advocates.

Take his speech yesterday in Unity, NH. Standing alongside Hillary, Obama said,

“We can follow a policy that doesn't change whether violence is up or violence is down, whether the Iraqi government takes responsibility or not; or we can decide that it's time to begin a responsible, gradual withdrawal from Iraq.”

This was the meat of his Iraq comments, lasting less than one minute.

Just months ago, Obama clamored for an “immediate” withdrawal, regardless of the situation on the ground; today, his withdrawal would be “gradual.” Maybe he was channeling Hillary Clinton, or maybe he finally realizes that very few people—except the MoveOn crowd—want an immediate withdrawal. His website, I should note, still touts an “immediate” withdrawal."
    The Corner on National Review Online
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 1, 2008, 08:24 PM
    If half of the speculative moves toward the middle become true for Obama, I wonder what the McCain camp will do?? If they (McCain campaign) distance themselves they stand a good chance of looking even more like the Bush admin, but if he stays or becomes more moderate the conservative Republican base will really be out of sorts this election.
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 02:13 AM
    Choux using Weasely Clarke's talking points again ? Of course he ran for President solely on his military experience. Oh yeah... he was a General so he was a decider.. . He had no respect from his peers ,his Sr. Officers ,and the people who served under him .One of his senior NATO commanders outright refused to follow his orders because they would've lead to WWIII . He was fired as NATO commander.. . but he is qualified to make comments about McCain's service ?
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    He's a piece of crap with no integrity whatsoever. He would do or say anything to be President.

Scum.
    Such hatred...
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Five years of *your fascist guys hatred and propaganda* I put up with.

You have scum running for President on the Fascist ticket... you get bent out of shape when I point that out.

Pathetic.
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2008, 07:02 AM
    If you don't believe us then how about the Wall Street Journal... and if not them then Huffpo and the Kossak Markos Moulitsas himself .

Glen Greenwald at the "progressive " Salon Magazine details some of the problem that the nutroots are having with Obama:

The choices Obama makes about how he campaigns and the positions he takes are extremely consequential in how political issues in this country are perceived. In the last two weeks alone, Obama has done the following:

*intervened in a Democratic Congressional primary to support one of the worst Bush-enabling Blue Dogs over a credible, progressive challenger;

* announced his support for Bush's FISA bill, reversing himself completely on this issue;

* sided with the Scalia/Thomas faction in two highly charged Supreme Court decisions;

* repudiated Wesley Clark and embraced the patently false media narrative that Clark had "dishonored McCain's service" (and for the best commentary I've seen, by far, on the Clark matter, see this appropriately indignant piece by Iraq veteran Brandon Friedman);

* condemned MoveOn.org for its newspaper advertisement criticizing Gen. Petraeus;

* defended his own patriotism by impugning the patriotism of others, specifically those in what he described as the "the so-called counter-culture of the Sixties" for "attacking the symbols, and in extreme cases, the very idea, of America itself" and -- echoing Jeanne Kirkpatrick's 1984 RNC speech -- "blaming America for all that was wrong with the world";

* unveiled plans "to expand President Bush's program steering federal social service dollars to religious groups and -- in a move sure to cause controversy . . . letting religious charities that receive federal funding consider religion in employment decisions," a move that could "invite a storm of protest from those who view such faith requirements as discrimination" -- something not even the Bush faith programs allowed.
    The Obama campaign's past two weeks - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Here is the Wall Street Journal's observation that it is actually Obama who is "McSame" :

We're beginning to understand why Barack Obama keeps protesting so vigorously against the prospect of "George Bush's third term." Maybe he's worried that someone will notice that he's the candidate who's running for it.
    Bush's Third Term - WSJ.com

Huffpo's Arianna Huffington warns Obama against tacking to the center :
    In an interview with Nina Easton in Fortune Magazine, Obama was asked about having called NAFTA "a big mistake" and "devastating." Obama's reply: "Sometimes during campaigns the rhetoric gets overheated and amplified."

Overheated? So when he was campaigning in the Midwest, many parts of which have been, yes, devastated by economic changes since the passage of NAFTA, and he pledged to make use of a six-month opt-out clause in the trade agreement, that was "overheated?" Or was that one "amplified?"

Because if that's the case, it would be helpful going forward if Obama would let us know which of his powerful rhetoric is "overheated" and/or "amplified," so voters will know not to get their hopes too high.
    RealClearPolitics - Articles - Memo to Obama: Moving to the Middle is for Losers

Moulitsas the Kossack has decided to stop contributing to Obama's campaign. :
    Maybe what looks like cowering to me is really part of that "moving to the center" stuff everyone keeps talking about. But there is a line between "moving to the center" and stabbing your allies in the back out of fear of being criticized. And, of late, he's been doing a lot of unecessary stabbing, betraying his claims of being a new kind of politician. Not that I ever bought it, but Obama is now clearly not looking much different than every other Democratic politician who has ever turned his or her back on the base in order to prove centrist bona fides. That's not an indictment, just an observation.
    Daily Kos: State of the Nation
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2008, 08:35 AM
    The fallout continues (who does this Obama dude think he is, anyway?): USATODAY.com
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2008, 08:49 AM
    What will happen is that enough of his base support... mayby 6-8% will vote for Nader ,and some of the Evita supporters are definitely going to peel away and vote for McCain.

On the Republican side fewer than 3% will join Bob Barr . This could be 2000 all over again ;a dead heat decided by a swing state or 2 .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Here's an article from someone who was there with McCain:

Why I Will Not Vote for John McCain

And no, tomder, Wesley Clark was right on! Don't take his words out of context and change what he said, like the media has been doing.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Here's an article from someone who was there with McCain:

Why I Will Not Vote for John McCain

And no, tomder, Wesley Clark was right on! Don't take his words out of context and change what he said, like the media has been doing.
    Good link, thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 17 yr old is driving us crazy! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 17 yr old daughter that is giving the entire family hell. Since about a month prior to her 16th birthday she claims she is treated like a child and she is going to be 16. She makes poor choices in boyfriends as well as cheat, lie, be defiant with parents and has been arrested for stealing...

She is driving me crazy! [ 5 Answers ]

My childhood best friend lost her dad about 6 months ago. She is single, 34, christian and she is a very pretty girl. She met a christian man by chance who was is jail. They had been together for 5 years, she had visitation rights one on one because she got a false marriage certificate in Mexico...

Driving me crazy. [ 7 Answers ]

I made my boyfriend stay at his moms house tonight... we have been together for two weeks straight and we are fighting all the time... we fight when I'm just trying to talk to him.. and he turns everything into an argument... but today when he came to get his shoes after work, he said he should...

My ex driving me crazy [ 3 Answers ]

The relationship I had with my ex was something I thought was great and could work but after 6 months things went all wrong as he started to hit me. This happen about 8 times and I just couldn't take it any more so I just left. I console in my best friend for 9 years about it and he was mad...

She is driving me crazy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new grandchild with my sons girlfriend. They live together and I have always treated her like a part of our family. She ignors me, and does not care if we see the child or not. She has made the decision to not participate in our christmas traditions this year. How do I deal with an...

View more questions Search