Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    help1222 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Is it legal to rent prior to a foreclosure?
    This is possibly the strangest question I will ever ask but I really need advice. Due to some family issue we let our home in jan. and have not make any mortgage pmts since then. Up to this point we have yet to be served with papers for foreclosure. Today a friend who knows our whole situation asked if she could live there until they send the foreclosure paperwork. She said she would pay me some rent and in the meantime it would give her some time to save money for a house.

Is this even legal? Can I do this since I have not make pmts? Please help. It sounds good but is it really worth it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 08:52 PM
    As for as I know, it is in every state but California, where they have some laws to protect the renter.
    help1222 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by help1222
    This is possibly the strangest question I will ever ask but I really need advice. Due to some family issue we let our home in jan. and have not make any mortgage pmts since then. Up to this point we have yet to be served with papers for foreclosure. Today a friend who knows our whole situation asked if she could live there until they send the foreclosure paperwork. She said she would pay me some rent and in the meantime it would give her some time to save money for a house.

Is this even legal? Can I do this since I have not make pmts? Please help. It sounds good but is it really worth it?
    But the "renter" knows the whole situation and won't sue. Does this matter?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase on rent control in Jersey City, NJ [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know the what the percentage of rental increase is for a rent control building in Jersey City? Also, can the landlord ask for additional deposit for the rental unit? Thanks... Jay

House foreclosure rent money due [ 4 Answers ]

I am a landlord and my investment property is in the 1st stage of foreclosure. I am looking to reinstate it, but my tenants are refusing to pay rent until they find out what is going on. Can they withhold money? Can they live there rent free because of the situation? Please advise.

Renter in a foreclosure house, Do I need to pay rent? [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a notice on my door that the house I am renting is going up for auction. My landlord had never given my any notice of the situation. Do I have to keep paying rent?

Rent collection while facing foreclosure [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I just found out that my landlord is faceing foreclosure. This is a three unit rental property. All of the tennants including myself, have paid our rent every month on time. However, the landlord has not paid the mortgage since 12-01-07. He is still collecting the rent. We were advised not to...

Sale or rent home in Alabama. Foreclosure? Bankruptcy? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I own a home in Alabama that we need to sell or rent. If anyone knows of anyone, please let me know. The home is in a great neighborhood; I moved to Washington State in October, 2006. I would have loved to have brought the neighborhood with me. Our home appraised for $179,900 in...

View more questions Search