Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Utahcowgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Sewage smell in basement
    Our home is 30+ years old and was built before the city sewer line was put it and unfortunately was laid above the level of our basement floor... consequently our house (and all the ones built at the same time) have sumps for basement wastewater. (in our case it is used only for the laundry) We returned home several weeks ago to find the odor of raw sewage coming from the area where the pipes come into the house and where the sump pump is located. We had been away for the week and so I thought it might have been stagnant water in the sump and so I ran three washer loads of water through the sump. The pump ran well but the smell persisted for another hour. My drains all run freely and there is no odor upstairs in the bathrooms or kitchen.

However, now almost every evening around the same time we get the horrible raw sewage smell that lasts for about an hour. There is no smell in the daytime or when we first come home from work.

Any ideas as to what may be causing the smell?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Don't know what is causing the smell but the only remedy would seem to be to redo the lines to the sewer making them drain properly or you'll never get rid of the smell.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 04:04 PM
    So does the sump pump (ejector pump) have a trap in its line before it enters your higher level sewer line. Is the pit sealed and vented? It worked before and now has stopped so likely we can find a fix without changing piping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell from basement bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

We bought our house a year ago. The basement was already finshed. In the basement bathroom there is a drain in the floor that would give off a sulphur smell. We would dump water down the drain every other day but the smell really never went completely away. About a month ago I noticed a sewage ...

Sewage smell in basement [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 40 year old ranch on a basement with a septic tank. I have a laundry room, bathroom, floor drain under the carpet, and a water shut off in one of the closets---all in the basement. I keep getting bad smells MAINLY coming from the laundry room, the water shut off closet, and the main room...

Sewage Smell in Basement bath [ 6 Answers ]

We moved into this house last February. The house uses a septic tank which is located itneh front yard. Teh lot slpoes downwards towards the back. As a result, the basement bath is located lower than the septic tank. In the last 2 or 3 months the smell has become unbearable. We rarely use...

Sewage smell in basement under 1st floor toilet [ 1 Answers ]

In our large unfinished basement a sewage smell that appeared for about the past 4-6 weeks. It localizes to the area immediately underneath the drain for the 1st floor toilet, although the drain pipe from the 2nd floor bathroom is only 12 inches away. There is mild staining of the otherwise dry,...

View more questions Search