Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moreheadcity Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Sewage smell in basement
    I have a 40 year old ranch on a basement with a septic tank. I have a laundry room, bathroom, floor drain under the carpet, and a water shut off in one of the closets---all in the basement. I keep getting bad smells MAINLY coming from the laundry room, the water shut off closet, and the main room where the drain resides under the carpet. Rain and mega water usuage throughout the house seems to make it worse. I tried the bleach/boiling water trick in the washer drain and things got BETTER for a while... but it seems like every time my husband flushes the toilet (sorry, tmi) I can smell everything in the basement... If it's the floor drain, how could I check the trap without destroying my carpet? The smells COME and GO... maddening.:mad:

Jan 19, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Desperate bump
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Floor drains with traps dry out under carpet, this allows sewer gas to seep past the trap. You need to get some water back into that trap. Make a very small hole and use a turkey baster if you can't get anything finer to puncture the carpet. This will happen again if the water in the trap evaporates and it will.

Jan 19, 2008, 08:47 PM
    I suggested the same thing you said to my husband after reading and reading on this site. I'm going to TRY to feel for the drain... there's a hump and a dip, I'll search it, slit it, and find a turkey baster... I'll let you know how it goes!! Thanks so much!

Jan 19, 2008, 08:53 PM
    You can probably get the baster to fit through a large nail hole so don't slite that rug yet. The floor drain should be centered in a slight depression on the floor, feel around for the dip.

Jan 19, 2008, 08:58 PM
    K, good idea thanks..

Jan 21, 2008, 04:52 PM
    I cannot 100% figure out where the drain is because of all the carpet.. There is a hump and a couple dips, but I don't know what to do without pulling my carpet up ahhhhhhhhhh!

Jan 21, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Try poking through the carpet with a large needle of thin finishing nail. If they covered over the floor drain they likely did not seal it but who knows for sure. Is the carpet held by tackless stripes around the edges? You know where I'm going don't you.

Jan 23, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Hey,
    Yeah, I just HATE to pull up the carpet. There are so many dips, could there be more than one drain?

Jan 23, 2008, 05:36 PM
    My basement is about 22 x 48 and there are three in my floor. I my town our codes resquires floor drains to go to a sump pump and not the sewer so I just sealed my drains. That's what yopu can do too once you find them.

Jan 29, 2008, 10:15 AM
    SO, GET THIS:

I called the previous owner who lives 4 miles up the road from us... The man who remodeled the entire house. He said THERE ARE NO DRAINS IN THE BASEMENT. SO, what now?? Surely he would know since he put down new carpet.

Jan 30, 2008, 07:47 AM
    OK I guess we will forget the dried up drain idea. My next thought is how the washing machine is drained. Does it go into a stand pipe or a laundry tub. The stand pipe may not have a trap.

Jan 30, 2008, 07:51 AM
    I'm not too sure. The hose goes into a big square that leads outside. It seems the worst of the smell is in the closet in the living area that has the two water shut offs... when NOTHING else has odor, it always does. I'm running a dehumidifier and my humidity is under b/t 40 and 50%. I initially thought it was a moldy smell, but after the septic guy pumpled the tank, I KNEW for sure that was what I was smelling... but where is it coming from ugn.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell from basement bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

We bought our house a year ago. The basement was already finshed. In the basement bathroom there is a drain in the floor that would give off a sulphur smell. We would dump water down the drain every other day but the smell really never went completely away. About a month ago I noticed a sewage ...

Sewage Smell in Finished Basement with Ejector Pump [ 6 Answers ]

We have a sewage smell in our basement that we finished and added a bathroom. It has an ejector pump and we have sealed off the crock top with caulk and wax. The smell is not all the time and is very inconsistent. We have city sewage. We have tried everything with not luck. The only thing that we...

Sewage Smell in Basement bath [ 6 Answers ]

We moved into this house last February. The house uses a septic tank which is located itneh front yard. Teh lot slpoes downwards towards the back. As a result, the basement bath is located lower than the septic tank. In the last 2 or 3 months the smell has become unbearable. We rarely use...

View more questions Search