Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Uezato Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Maltese Poodle
    Hi my 4 year old female maltese has been licking her foot - it is red and inflamed by the toe area and between. What could be the cause?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Google up food allergies, Acral lick dermatitis and allergic irritant contact dermatitis.
    If her foot looked pretty bad I would take her to the vet, so often chewing can lead to painful infections of the skin.

My dog went through this one year and I sprayed some hydrocortisone spray between her toes... I think it was something in the grass where we had walked.
    Uezato Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Great will do, thanks for the ideas
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Jun 24, 2008, 01:41 PM
    If it isn't an infection, some dogs can become fixated, whether its on a cat, their ball or chewing their paws, strange condition, but if the dog isn't balanced, it could develop a fixation..
    Faiths Mommy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 06:47 PM

It could even be a food allergy. Try switching to a holistic dog food like Nutro Ultra. I feed that to my Maltese.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2010, 08:39 PM

Please check the dates of these threads. This one is almost two years old, and the last was even older.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Maltese adult dog [ 3 Answers ]

I just got last a 7 year young male maltese. I would like to know the answer to the following questions: Can I change his name? How can I potty train him? How can I maintain his barking to a minimum?

Maltese peeing in crate [ 2 Answers ]

I just acquired a 6 year old male Maltese from a family who could not care for him any longer. He had not been properly taken care of from the looks of him. My problem is this. When I put him in his crate he urinates. I think it is out of spite. I sometimes only leave him for 20 minutes and...

Maltese dog sick [ 7 Answers ]

I have a maltese dog about 1 year and 6 months old. She has been vomiting, clear white foamy-ness and her poop is kind of "Snotty" looking, she refuses to go outside and she has been mopey and not really wanting to play lately. I have taken her to the vet, and the vet said that she probably just...

Socializing a Maltese [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a 1 year old Maltese male. He is very shy and skiddish. How do I train him to come to me? He doesn't let me out of his sight but I have to catch him instead of him following my command.

Maltese that cannot be housebroken [ 1 Answers ]

My son and family received an adorable and very smart little Maltese puppy about 8 months ago. He was about 2 months old then and they only had him about 6 months before giving him to my sons older children and ex-wife due to they just could not get him housebroken. Now after about 3 months my...

View more questions Search