Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asummersnight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Maltese adult dog
    I just got last a 7 year young male maltese.

I would like to know the answer to the following questions:

Can I change his name?

How can I potty train him?

How can I maintain his barking to a minimum?
    Crimson123 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Yes, you should be able to still change his name.
    Say his name is Butch, and you want to change it to Buster,
    Call him by saying Butch Buster, so he gets use to hearing both names and then after a few days start dropping the Butch.
    As far as house breaking, wow... and he's 7. I had a dog come back to me but she was younger then 7, I kept her on a leash with me in the house at all times and wherever I was. It took a couple weeks but she got the idea. That way the dog is always by you and I kept treats in my pocket and when she went outside right when she was done a leash length away she got a treat.
    The barking is a difficult one... they do sell the collars that teach them not to bark, but I don't know what kind of shock it gives them or if it's even safe... I would call a vet.
    Hope this helps some.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 9, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Crimson is absolutely right about the house breaking. (If he is just peeing on things, it may be marking behavior. Neutering may or may not help, but it certainly won't make it worse.)
    Also just changed my adopted Doberman's name... I thought "Dobie" sounded like, well it's a dog, lets call him "Dog". He is responding well to "Gus" now.
    One type of bark collar uses citronella spray instead of a shock. Much more humane and I'm told it works better.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 09:25 PM
    I've only heard awful things about those barking collars. I know there are behavioral methods to teach barking control. Find some excellent dog training books with bark training. After you've given that a shot, if nothing else works, then you can look into other more extreme options. The spray sounds less gruesome than an electrical charge...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I stop my maltese from biting? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I stop my maltese from biting?? Tucker is 11 weeks this Sunday we have had him only for 6 days and five nites I love him to bits but he is driving me crazy!! He bites my feet and anywhere else he can as well as every person he interacts with! Tucker also bites shoes, wires exc.. very rarely...

Maltese dog sick [ 7 Answers ]

I have a maltese dog about 1 year and 6 months old. She has been vomiting, clear white foamy-ness and her poop is kind of "Snotty" looking, she refuses to go outside and she has been mopey and not really wanting to play lately. I have taken her to the vet, and the vet said that she probably just...

Socializing a Maltese [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a 1 year old Maltese male. He is very shy and skiddish. How do I train him to come to me? He doesn't let me out of his sight but I have to catch him instead of him following my command.

Crate training adult maltese [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old female maltese. She has slept in bed with me now for 4 years and has never been crated at all including night time. I am now in a position where I can't have her sleep in bed with me. I purchased a crate for her that is pleanty big for her size, she is about 5 lbs. I've put...

Maltese that cannot be housebroken [ 1 Answers ]

My son and family received an adorable and very smart little Maltese puppy about 8 months ago. He was about 2 months old then and they only had him about 6 months before giving him to my sons older children and ex-wife due to they just could not get him housebroken. Now after about 3 months my...

View more questions Search