Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 08:16 AM
    Hollywood & The Media
    Hello:

When I read a newspaper or watch a TV newscast, I don't think I'm being lead. I think I'm being talked to. When I see a movie, I don't see someone trying to influence me. I see them trying to entertain me.

In my view, these two entities reflect society - they don't lead it.

Apparently, there are others of you who disagree. I see the media and Hollywood being blamed for all sorts of society's ills all the time, and on THESE pages too. I say what?? Clearly, there are those of you who feel as though Hollywood and/or the Media DOES influence your thinking and your activities... And, they do so PURPOSEFULLY. I suspect you think there's a great left wing liberal conspiracy going on. Yes??

If so, please report. Come on, you can tell me.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 08:18 AM
    It's the right-wing's way of life: 'the media made me do it', it absolves them from personal responsibility.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Hello excon: You have posed a neat observation and question. I am certain that the news media and Hollywood try to shape public opinion and attitudes. My recollection is that in 1969, Newsweek Magazine and 60 Minutes on CBS were doing everything they could to disengage the U.S. from Vietnam. Particularly on 60 Minutes, there was no balance. I haven't watched 60 Minutes since then, with the exception of the Hillary and Bill show in 1992. The demise in readership of the mainstream newspapers continues as well from what I hear. Of course, it is on purpose. And just as Mr. O'Reilly says, if you want balance, read the editorial page from The New York Times and The Wallstreet Journal. Influence me? No way.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Hello George:

Thanks for your comments.

I don't know. I think I'm a fairly politically astute and somewhat intelligent individual. While I didn't read Newsweek, I DID watch 60 minutes during the Vietnam war, and I still do. I DID enjoy Dan Rather.

I have to tell you that, in all candor, when I read that some believe (as you do), that they were actively promoting a political agenda, I didn't see it. Maybe I missed it, but I don't think I did.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    It's the right-wing's way of life: 'the media made me do it', it absolves them from personal responsibility.
    Is that your alternate reality, NK, because the right is leading the charge for personal responsibility. We aren't the ones trying to ban trans fats and Fox News.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 09:03 AM
    So why do some conservatives blame movies and the media for "corrupting" people? Can't people think for themselves?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    .... And, they do so PURPOSEFULLY. I suspect you think there's a great left wing liberal conspiracy going on. Yes????

If so, please report. Come on, you can tell me.

excon
    For your further study: Media Bias Basics

And: NewsBusters.org | Exposing Liberal Media Bias

I turned off network TV news 35 years ago so it doesn't bother me at all.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 09:37 AM
    When I read a newspaper or watch a TV newscast, I don't think I'm being lead. I think I'm being talked to. When I see a movie, I don't see someone trying to influence me. I see them trying to entertain me.
    When I read a paper or watch the news, I'm not being led either - but I see less and less reporting and more and more analysis disguised as news. As for Hollywood, yeah they're trying to entertain me but if you can't see the messages they're sending, regardless of which side they're from, you aren't paying attention.

To a degree it does reflect society, but in what universe is Michael Moore's Sicko, Fahrenheit 9/11 or Brokeback Mountain not trying to shape society? Filmmakers are not shy about their intent to influence culture and too many already acknowledge the impact it has.

Fields of Fuel
    Indie filmmakers and their influence on modern culture
    George Lucas Speaks About Hollywood's Influence on Society
    Saving the environment, one celebrity at a time

You can find these all day, ex. Fortunately however, Hollywood's influence is waning as the box office receipts for so many activist movies recently has shown.

Apparently, there are others of you who disagree. I see the media and Hollywood being blamed for all sorts of society's ills all the time, and on THESE pages too. I say what?? Clearly, there are those of you who feel as though Hollywood and/or the Media DOES influence your thinking and your activities... And, they do so PURPOSEFULLY. I suspect you think there's a great left wing liberal conspiracy going on. Yes??
    Apparently both sides think so, ex. The left thinks there's a vast right-wing conspiracy in the media and the right thinks there is a vast left-wing conspiracy. Who's right? Where does the evidence lead? I say it's decidedly tilted to the left - as do many studies, surveys and admissions from the media themselves. The BBC admitted it, ABC's News Political Chief admitted it, NPR admitted it, Chris Matthews gets a thrill up his leg from Obama for crying out loud.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Hello again, George:

Sending me to conservative web sites that mirror your opinion doesn't do it for me. I certainly didn't think you were alone.

excon
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Here is more reading for you:
    Media bias in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Media Bias : the media is saturated with bias

What Liberal Media? --Eric Alterman
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    the right is leading the charge for personal responsibility.
    Yeah, "We don't torture, it's those 'bad apples' that did it". Bwa HaHaHa!!
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

There's a difference between news and analysis. I have no trouble making the distinction. Most people can't. Or maybe I should say most right winged people can't.

excon
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    To a degree it does reflect society, but in what universe is Michael Moore's Sicko, Fahrenheit 9/11 or Brokeback Mountain not trying to shape society?
    You're not listening - in a society where the people have free will and personal responsibility you can throw all messages at them and let them decide. What do want? More censorship? A bigger government to oversee and protect you?
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 09:51 AM
    I agree. I'd include politics as well. It's all demand-driven.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 09:53 AM
    So why do some conservatives blame movies and the media for "corrupting" people? Can't people think for themselves?
    Why do you pick on Fox News?
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Sorry mate, I don't follow you.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:02 AM
    You're not listening - in a society where the people have free will and personal responsibility you can throw all messages at them and let them decide. What do want? More censorship? A bigger government to oversee and protect you?
    I'm not listening? LOL, I never said anything about censorship, we're not the ones screaming to restore the Fairness Doctrine - it is the left that wants to mandate "fairness" in media and silence Rush Limbaugh and Fox News. It is the left that is championing hate speech laws, speech codes and intolerance toward conservatives and their ideas. What are they afraid of?
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Hello again:

Let's look at Brokeback Mountain... First off, I didn't see it. Second off, it appears to be a love story about two gay cowboys.

You, and your right winged cohorts however, see something else. Maybe you can tell me why. Do you doubt there's homosexuality in the world? Do you doubt that some were cowboys? Should their story not be told? Is telling their story promoting homosexuality? Or is it just telling their story. Is a love story between a man and a woman promoting heterosexuality? Does a love story promote anything other than love? I don't know. You tell me.

excon
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:07 AM
    I view hate speech in the same vein as yelling "Fire" in a crowded theatre. Rush falls into that category. "Intolerance towards conservatives"? If this website is any subset than the intolerance is towards anything liberal.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

There's a difference between news and analysis. I have no trouble making the distinction. Most people can't. Or maybe I should say most right winged people can't.
    Isn't that what I said, there's a difference between news and analysis? Seems I made the distinction just fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scholarships and entering in the hollywood business [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if you have any scholarship on martial arts? My other question is how do I enter into the hollywood business with my martial arts talent?:)

Media State. :media disconnected [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. My computer won't connect to the internet it says that a newtwork cable is unplugged although the internet works perfectly well. I tried cmd config /renew and it says the same thing. Does anyone know why my computer won't connect to the internet?

View more questions Search