Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MamaSam Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 06:43 PM
    Re-Housebreaking unneutered Shih Tzu
    I have a almost 3 year old male Shih Tzu. He trained easily but would hike now and then. I did my best to keep it cleaned up. He will hike on the corner of the beds upstairs if allowed up there but otherwise did not hike in the house.
    He studded last week and started using my downstairs as his bathroom!:eek:
    I have shampooed using Natures Miracle but sort of neutering (which can't be done until he fulfills one more studding) how do I re-train him and get him to stop this? I never catch him at it.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 18, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Territorial marking is totally different from housesoiling. An unneutered dog is bad enough but once a male dog has been bred they almost always get worse. This is now becoming a learned behavior and neutering may not be as effective as it would have been if done at an early age.
    He may have to be crated when you cannot supervise him. This is another reason we advocate juvenile spay/neuter before the hormones kick into high gear.
    You might try one of the DAP diffusers that work like a glade plug-in but release a calming pheromone. (you can't smell it but the dog can) Ask your vet if he carries them or can order one for you.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 18, 2008, 10:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaSam
    I have a almost 3 year old male Shih Tzu. He trained easily but would hike now and then. I did my best to keep it cleaned up. He will hike on the corner of the beds upstairs if allowed up there but otherwise did not hike in the house.
    He studded last week and started using my downstairs as his bathroom!:eek:
    I have shampooed using Natures Miracle but sort of neutering (which can't be done until he fulfills one more studding) how do I re-train him and get him to stop this? I never catch him at it.
    I feel compelled to ask, WHY does he need to fulfill his stud duties? Do you realise how many unwanted Shih Zus's are put to their death every day, because of over population? Or is this just a plain old money making effort. :(
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8
    I feel compelled to ask, WHY does he need to fulfill his stud duties? Do you realise how many unwanted Shih Zus's are put to their death every day, because of over population? Or is this just a plain old money making effort. :(
    It's probably in his contract for the dog. If the dog is of a good quality, but not showable (this is a strange concept, but sometimes you have a dog that is breeding quality without being show quality... it has good traits that you want to pass on, but a disqualification that shouldn't be genetically inherited), you can get the dog on a pet contract if you agree to allow X number of breedings. And, while I am as concerned about pet overpopulation as you are, I also want people to honor contracts.

Scottish fold cats are good example of breeding/non-showing cats. You can't cross two cats with folded ears.. it's a simple dominant gene linked to a recessive degenerative bone disease gene. So one folded gene results in folded ears, but two gives you fold and bone disease. So you get scottish fold cats that don't have folded ears, and thus don't meet show standards, but that you want to keep in your blood line for other reasons.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 19, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    It's probably in his contract for the dog. If the dog is of a good quality, but not showable (this is a strange concept, but sometimes you have a dog that is breeding quality without being show quality... it has good traits that you want to pass on, but a disqualification that shouldn't be genetically inherited), you can get the dog on a pet contract if you agree to allow X number of breedings. And, while I am as concerned about pet overpopulation as you are, I also want people to honor contracts.

Scottish fold cats are good example of breeding/non-showing cats. You can't cross two cats with folded ears.. it's a simple dominant gene linked to a recessive degenerative bone disease gene. So one folded gene results in folded ears, but two gives you fold and bone disease. So you get scottish fold cats that don't have folded ears, and thus don't meet show standards, but that you want to keep in your blood line for other reasons.
    I understand Froggy. There really is too much cross breeding, and that is one of the biggest cause of the over-population, and the reason there are so many worthy dogs that are put to death, because of their blood lines. It's the irresponsibility of puppy mills, and pet owners that lead to this. I just find it very sad, to be breeding more dogs, when there are so many staring death in the face, and want so badly just to love someone.

With that said, I do understand your point, and I wish all people would adhere to responsible breeding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Struggling with housebreaking [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, New member I need to know what is the right way to house break my seven week old miniature dachshund I have read book after book some say let him in and out of the crate some say make him stay in there all day except to eat and potty but he has already using it in his crate I Don't KNOW WHAT...

Mini pin housebreaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mini pin that is a year and half old I bought him from a pet store I had him for over a year and I still can't get him to go to the bathroom outside. He sleeps in a crate and when I'm not home he stays in there. He has no problem peeing and pooping in there then laying in it. (its gross)...

Yet another housebreaking dilema. [ 8 Answers ]

Let me start by saying I have read the sticky posts and several other posts on this issue, but I haven't seen anyone address our problem. This is a long post in order to answer many of the follow up questions or pointers that I am sure would be raised. I have a 10 year old pug mix (Gracie) that...

Housebreaking [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to litter train a Cockapoo puppy?

View more questions Search