Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dwall174 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Generator Muffler
    Does it affect the performance of a portable generator to add a larger muffler to it?

I have a Baldor PC40H Generator (4000 Watts) It’s powered by a 8hp (GX240) Honda OHV motor. I would like to replace the original muffler with a larger quieter muffler!
    Honda uses a flange style connection for their exhaust so I will need to come up with an adapter that will go to a pipe or tube connection depending on the type of muffler I get.

My brother works in a small machine shop & I’m sure he can come up with some type of a adapter for me! What I’m trying to figure out besides if it will affect the generator or not, What type of muffler should I use?
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 18, 2008, 11:03 AM
    My understanding is: Some exhaust back-pressure is required, to prevent exhaust valve warping from cooling to fast. If the unit is to loud, consider all the noise-making parts. After all the rattles, whines and buzzes are addressed, the exhaust noise is all that's left. Air-cooled engines are louder, as they don't have a cooling jacket to keep internal sounds inside

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil in muffler [ 2 Answers ]

Performed a tune up on lawn tractor. Started it up, ran for 3 seconds and stopped. It looks as oil is coming from muffler area. Did I blow a head gasket, I don't know. Can you can me why oil is coming from the muffler. Ed

Red hot briggs 5 hp muffler! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem with my log splitter. Just bought it well used for $500 off the internet. Briggs and stratton 5 hp engine with a tube style muffler. Not the flat kind. Looks like it will be a great deal of trobble to remove. I was thinking about replacing...

Gas from muffler [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 HP Tecumseh on a Craftsmen 30" rear engine mower. The carb was recently rebuilt along with a tune up at a respectable mower shop. I used the mower once since that work-- ran great. Today it didn't start on first or second crank as normal. I looked back and there was gas on the...

What happens if I take off muffler on my truck [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1998 ford explorer SUV. I took off my muffler for better sound will it affect my motor?

The oil is pouring out the muffler [ 11 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with it? It's a Craftsman ridng mower with a 14.5hp Briggs & Stratton engine its 7 years old good up keep & never had a problem with it. One day I strted it and smoke & oil started to pour out the muffler.

View more questions Search