Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdolly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Hey, my name is katherine dolly, my mother received a call about an old sprint bill 517. She never paid. This company resp. sprint stated they and file a 1099 fee and attached a 3200 $ attorny fee and take it from her tax/ social sec. check. Is this true. Is this a new law. Unpaid bills paid from a 1099 fee.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2008, 12:44 PM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

They lied. Only the IRS can attach a tax refund and Social Security is exempt from garnishment.

Before they can collect they have to obtain a judgement. If this is an old bill it might even be beyond the statute of limitations so they are trying to scare mom into paying something to start the SOL clock again.

There are lots of threads here about such collection activities. Please review them for info on what mom can do now.
    kdolly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Thanks , this helps, but if no payment from us they stated they would do a judgment and file it, what is the limited time of old bills being file like this in future phone calls, my parents were bad on paying there bills, now she is 71 year, old,
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 02:31 PM
    First collection people lie, they will threaten to call the police, take you car, everything,

If they are going after a judgement, they can if the bill is not too old, file in court and have a hearing. SOL is determined by your local state laws.
    But they have to notify your parents of the court date and time and they have a right to defend thierself before a judgement can be issues.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Let them "do a judgement". What this means is they have to file suit in a local court. Your mother would have to be served a summons notifying her of the suit. She can then ask for a hearing. If the debt is old enough, it can be dismissed due to the SOL. If not and her only income is Soc Sec she is pretty much judgement proof.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 05:22 PM
    [QUOTE=Fr_Chuck]First collection people lie, they will threaten to call the police, take you car, everything,

Not ALL collection people lie.

I always tell the truth, nothing but the truth, so help me God.

You have received some good advice here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sprint policies [ 1 Answers ]

Will Sprint report me to the credit bureau while I'm contesting what I consider to be an unfair cancellation fee?

Sprint mobile broadband card [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go on the internet if I have a sprint mobile broadband card? Does this card mean I have wireless internet:confused:

Do humans work at Sprint? [ 4 Answers ]

Can ANYONE please tell me how to get something accomplished with these morons? They sent me a broadband card almost a month ago-assuring me it would work with a PC-it doesn't. I have since logged 5 hours on hold, being transferred, explaining myself, etc just to get the address to mail this sucker...

Sprint [ 6 Answers ]

Hey folks, got a good one for you. Hubby and I just got a letter in the mail from a law firm in Utah claiming that we owe Sprint Communications a little over $50. We have never used Sprint and never plan to, geez we don't even have long distance access, that is what our cell phones are for. ...

Threats on the Web. [ 7 Answers ]

I am new to Web. I want to know what kind of threats are there on th Web like Virus, Spam, Hakers etc. How do they attack us and how can we resist them and be safe. Please explain me. Thank you.

View more questions Search