Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barragan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Selling my home
    Is it possible to sell my house back to the bank.. im current on the payments and it has been on the market for about 4 months. I need help! Is this the same as giving the deed back?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2008, 12:30 PM
    What makes you think the bank wants to buy it? Banks are not in the business of owning real estate.

Do you own less that the martket value? Can you reduce your price?

Need more info to really help here.
    pacific nw Posts: 117, Reputation: 11
    -

Jun 12, 2008, 01:34 PM
    It's highly unlikely that the bank wants your property back. They are in business to make money, not own property.

If your concern is that you will default on your mortgage, you should contact the bank and do a "work out". Since they don't want the property, they probably will lower the interest rate (yes, they can and will do that if they believe it is in their best interest) or change the terms of the loan.

They might do a "deed in leu of foreclosure" or "short sale" if that is appropriate. However, they probably will want a valid offer from a qualified buyer using a licensed real estate agent before they will do a "short sale", with you getting no cash out at closing.
    There might be tax consequences if you have lived in the house less than 2 of the last 5 years and the house sells for more than what you purchased it for, even if it is a "short sale" or "deed in leu".

Where are you located and why do you wan to give it back to the bank?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 02:23 PM
    The bank does not buy, if after you are several months behind in your payments, they may consider taking the deed back instead of doing a foreclosure but again they may not either.

They may accept a short sale where they take less money than is owed for the property but if you can't sell it for what is owed to the bank, why would the bank want it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling your Home [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to sell your home if it is named in your bankruptcy?

Selling home [ 1 Answers ]

I realize I ask this question earlier in the wrong place. Is it possible to sell your home if it is listed in your bankruptcy?

Landlord selling home in MA [ 3 Answers ]

My landlord is selling our home, we are on the second floor and landlord has never lived on site. We have been here for 9 years. What if any rights do we have regarding letting real estate agents into our home? How much notice, can we specify certain times. After the home is bought how long do...

Selling Home Under Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested in selling my home under bankruptcy. What are my successful chances of doing this and what is the best route to go about doing this.

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

View more questions Search