Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JetQuimZaqFudd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Who is considered a resident of a dwelling? Do you have to be included on the lease?
    [F]

My son and his girlfriend share an apartment. My son is not on the lease; however, he has been residing in the apartment for over a year. Can the girlfriend make him leave?

In Florida, the law states that once you have established residency in a dwelling, you are automatically considered as a legal inhabitant of the dwelling. Therefore, you would have to file eviction in order to get somebody out of the residence.

I'm just trying to find out if the same law applies in NJ.

Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Yes he would be a resident in there, now if the lease states he should not be living there, she could be in trouble with the landlord bt aht is another issue. Yes, to get him out, she has to evict him

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord wants to install new carpet doing the work himself; dwelling doesn't need it [ 2 Answers ]

My landlord wants to install new carpet doing the work himself. The house does not really need new carpet. If he does the work himself it will take at least 2 weeks; not to mention when he starts taking off the base boards to replace the carpet it will chip all the paint then will have to be...

Theft under 5000 and being unlawfully in a dwelling [ 3 Answers ]

For the past 2 yrs I have been on a methadone maitenace program, for a serious opiate abuse problem. Over a yr ago I got a job as a home support worker, helping people in there homes. About 3 months ago I got a new client who was prescribed methadose for pain. I'm not going to sugar coat this...

Breaking a lease in Queens, NY private dwelling [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has accepted a new position out of state. Our lease is not up till next March, 2008. W spoke with the landlords about the situation and they seemed OK with it but they needed to speak with each other and to get back to us. They did get back to us a few days later and did a total turn...

Satellite Dish Multi-Dwelling Building [ 3 Answers ]

This may not be the best forum for this post. Please guide me to a better forum if one exists. I have a 10 unit apartment building in Long Beach CA. All 1 bedroom units at that property. 2 story 5 up 5 down. The apartments do not have a private balcony. We have charter cable available for cable...

Dwelling on the past [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone well I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years now and we are like best friends. Except for one issue when we first started dating I felt the need to lie to him and tell him I had sex previously, I made the story up about a few guys and I think I did it becases I thought at the time he...

View more questions Search