Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2006, 12:35 PM
    Trouble Shooting Floor Drain backups
    I am employeed by a company that offers a service to clear blockages in commercial floor drains; especially restaurants and grocery stores where grease is prevalent. We do use power snakes at times, but more often we use high pressure water.

Our technicians struggle a lot at troubleshooting the problem. We especially have a hard time diagnosing where the flow is going ie: to an outside manhole, indirect pit, small pump station...

We usually do OK if one floor drain is backing up. If a couple or several are backing up, it seems we take a long time clearing the lines and a lot of our "success" is probably due to shooting arrows in the dark.

Any suggestions? Advice? Is there a basic "design/floor plan" for floor drain layout?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 7, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Hi Mark,

Since most codes don't require don't require floor drains to be vented we pipe to wherever the architect places them so there is no "basic design".

A little tip for your service men,( when did we start calling ourselves "technicians"?) If you come to a drain that closes up behind a cable and is so full of grease that you can't blow it out take a steam jenny and run it down the floor drain. This melts the grease so that it can be washed out. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trouble w/ my floor drain [ 3 Answers ]

Well, I have been having an issue w/ my floor drain in my laundry room. About a year ago my drain started to back up when ever my washer drained, not badly though. The water would just come up about an inch past the drain hole. Now as time has gone by, if I don't keep an eye on it, it floods my...

Floor Drain... [ 1 Answers ]

SpeedBall1, Your help in the pass have been very helpful and appreciated. I got one quick question for you: I want to replace my rusted floor drain with a new plastic one, just that simple... however it looks like the old rusted 2 inch floor drain has a vent 1/2 inch pipe attached to left...

Floor Drain Help [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I have a house that was built around 1948. It is a two story house with a basement. In the basement the floor drain has been backing up recently. My instinct is to snake the floor drain. However, I want to understand the function of the various pipes before I begin. I have attached a...

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search