Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jun 5, 2008, 06:22 PM
    What do I need to worry about?
    I'm considering a separation from my wife of 11 years due to a variety of reasons. I'm likely going to take a job somewhere outside the metro area we live in.

What do I need to be concerned about?

We have two kids and a shared house for which we're both listed on the mortgage. She can have the house and I'm willing to do split custody for the kids.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 06:37 PM
    What do you have to worry about, joint custody of the kids, she may go for full custody with you limited visits. You being stuck with paying for the house. Or if she takes the house, she can't pay and they come after you anyway, the divorce agreement does not stop collection.

So large alimony paymnets, large child support payments and limited visits, would be my worries.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jun 5, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    what do you have to worry about, joint custody of the kids, she may go for full custody with you limited visits. You being stuck with paying for the house. Or if she takes the house, she can't pay and they come after you anyway, the divorce agreement does not stop collection.

So large alimony paymnets, large child support payments and limited visits, would be my worries.
    The house is what worries me the most.

The reason I'm getting away from her is her financial mismanagement. She's been secretly squandering money for the past few years... to the tune of racking up a huge unpaid credit card balance. I can't be tied to this kind of thing... and, thankfully, I'm not tied to the balance she owes.

The biggest issue for me is that I can't trust her to pay her own bills.

She won't contest the kids... and she claims she needs only what amounts to 40% of my salary to live on. I can handle that... my costs drop dramatically when she's out of the picture.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by STG
    ...she claims she needs only what amounts to 40% of my salary to live on. I can handle that...my costs drop dramatically when she's out of the picture.
    Sounds like alimony and child support. Want to read up on it? Spousal Support - Spousal Maintenance - Alimony
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2008, 05:07 AM
    Most divorces that I have heard of where the wife was getting the house the Judge ordered that the house be switched to their name (only) within a specific amount of time and they be responsible for the payments. Seems like there should be some way you can legally get piece of mind that she will not leave the house payments go. Maybe something like telling the Judge your concern and requesting that a mandatory electronic withdraw from her checking account be made to the mortgage company. Maybe requesting that a responsible family member of hers be made power of attorney? There should be some solution for the best interest of the children. Other than seeing if the Judge is willing or able to do something like that, she is free to do whatever with the money. I see many women wasting away the child support. Then crying to everybody they can't afford anything for their kids. There really isn't anything that can be done about that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I worry? [ 2 Answers ]

I bled after intorcource... and I hd been off my period for a good week now... so what is the couse of my bleeding?

Do I have something to worry about? [ 7 Answers ]

So I swear I'm not snooping. But, I've had a really weird start to this relationship. I've been with my boyfriend for about a year. I do trust him but on his myspace it showed he was still single and had his ex as number 1. Then I asked him about it and kind of made him change it. Then I was...

Should I worry? [ 2 Answers ]

My period normally comes on different days every month... My last three cycles were: Nov4-8, Nov27-Dec4, Dec28- Jan3. It's the 30th Jan and I haven't got a period since the last one. I've been crampy for almost the entire cycle. So I'm not even sure if I'm really late. I did have unprotected...

Help! Should I worry? [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help... My LMP was May 1st, I have a 28 day cycle, I had some spotting on the 24th of May, which last only 1/2 a day, I was supposed to get my period on Sunday 29 May, but I still haven't gotten a period yet... For the last 2 weeks, I have been hacking up a lot, I mean constantly...

View more questions Search