Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcdogluv Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Puppy pottying in the house in the mornings
    So when I got my puppy he was 10 weeks and my parents decided not to crate train him because my mom stays at home so she was just going to keep an eye on him. So during the day, there are not many accidents now. But in the mornings, there'd always be a puddle in our dining room. And recently, there'd be bits of eaten up poop (yuck!) along with the puddle in the mornings. At first we thought as he gets older he'd be able to hold it longer and wait till we get up, which is pretty early, to take him out. But he's 4 1/2 months now and apparently with the pooping in the morning it's def not getting better. We feel like this potty training is getting no where so we are going to try crate training him. Do you think that it'll help him learn to hold it better? And how long does it usually take puppies to get used to a crate? Because the last time he was at petsmart for grooming, we were told that he was barking nonstop the whole time he was in the crate. I have work early in the morning so I'd still like to sleep. And I read labman's sticky note about crate training and I have a question. It said that we take him out and if he doesn't go then we put him in the crate. So do we start that process around when he usually goes? So before that he can hang around the house? And after he goes, how long should we let him hang around the house for? Sorry for having so many questions! This is my first time having a puppy this young so I'm still in the learning process. Thanks for all the help in advance!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 07:32 AM
    IF you allow the puppy to get used to using the potty inside the crate, you may never get him housebroken.

Don't you find it just a little cruel to "cage" your puppy, and make him spend the night in such a small area, sleeping right next to his own pee and poop?

Sorry, I disagree with "caging" any animal, especially one that you call your pet.
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Jun 5, 2008, 11:00 AM
    jcdogluv your pup is probably pee peeing in the house because it can still smell the urine on the floor/carpet and naturally assumes it is his 'spot'.. you might have to start right over, wipe the pee up with a paper towel and place it in the back yard, clean the spot well, vinegar helps. The only solution is to take the pup out every two hours until it understands where his new spot is.. At first I put my dogs' water bowl up after eight o'clock until he was trained, that might help ;)
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 5, 2008, 06:51 PM
    The rule of thumb is that most puppies can hold their bowels and bladder for the number of hours that are equal to the age in months plus one. (In other words, your pup should be able to go about 5 1/2 hours without an accident.)
    I do think crate training is a good idea; it's not so much caging the animal up as providing a safe place (safe for the pup and the house!) that he can sleep and spend quiet time. In the wild, dogs will go into a den that is small but cozy and will feel safe there. It may take a little while to get the puppy used to it, but if you have a good hard play session before bedtime and wait until the pup is obviously sleepy, most of them adjust quickly.
    My puppy is now about 9 months old. She is long past having to be crated during the day, but being part Labrador, she chews on everything in sight if she is not supervised in the house. She still sleeps in her crate at night and trots in happily(had to laugh when I caught my adult Doberman trying to join her the other night)
    Your pup can't hold his bowels and bladder all night yet. That's probably why you find the morning accidents. You will lose less sleep if you set the clock to take him outside once during the night. As he gets older, you can set the clock later and later so he is eventually on your schedule. It's a lot of work, but it's not as bad as changing diapers and waiting for a human child to grow up!
    Spinphoto above has a good suggestion about cleaning up the soiled spot.
    SHERRYANDGREG Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Jun 5, 2008, 07:43 PM
    It is not inhumane to put a dog in a crate. The dog does not have to sit in it's poop and pee. One idea of crate training is that if you get the right size cage the dog will not want to sit in it's poop and pee and then will hold it until the dog is let outside. When your dog is not under supervision it should be in a cage not only for potty training but for safety. Most puppies like to chew which unfortunately also means some of them like to chew electrical cords!

Jun 5, 2008, 10:42 PM
    My dog loves his crate, dogs are den animals naturally, they love it, if you introduce it properly..
    jcdogluv Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 08:16 AM
    Thanks for all the help! How do I introduce the crate properly? Should I put a toy in it? A treat maybe? And recently he has started becoming a rebel and don't come back with me whenever he finishes his business outside and instead runs around the yard and gets all dirty. So I just started putting him on a leash when he goes outside but now he won't potty outside anymore. Any suggestions?

Jun 6, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Sure, get a huge crate, put the puppy in with a toy or a bone or a kong with peanut butter, this will be his new 'special' toy, it could be anything, as long as he really, really, really likes it. Put him in the crate while you're at home with the toy, (door open) every time he tries to leave the crate with the toy, just put him right back in, be consistent. When he is ready to leave the crate, take the toy away.. he only gets it when he's in the crate. Then eventually, leave the house for a bit with him in his crate with his special toy. Put a blanket around the cage so it's shaded and comfty. Never ever ever ever punish him to the crate. I say to my dog, "go in your bbbeeddd.." he likes it.
    When you say come! In a firm voice and your dog doesn't listen, go get him and put him down right where you called him in the first place and do it often and only say come! Once. It's important to only say it once because eventually your dog will become tired of hearing it. Reward him when he comes, some people use treats, I use praise.

Hope this helps~
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 07:41 PM
    What you really need to do is to get some proper books on puppy training. I CANNOT understand trying to raise a puppy without them. Crate training is helpful to your dog, but it MUST be done using the proper information AND a very close eye. I have read that puppies can't even begin to totally control their bladders until 4 months. They're BABIES. By the way, getting a huge crate and leaving him to use the whole thing is not proper crate training. It needs to be sized for your puppy - he should not have enough room to pee or poop on one side and sleep on another. Get the crate that he will use as an adult and use a divider or a proper cardboard box to size it down. You can attach the crate to a play pen for during the day when he can't be watched. If he's peeing early in the morning, you'll have to get up before he pees, whatever time that is, and then as he grows you can set the clock later incrementally. Like I said, though, you can't possibly get the right answers with the detail they deserve just by using the forum. This place is great, but you need some books. By the way, I love, love, love the puppy whisperer by paul owens, but you should probably get several selections to really see how everything works. It'll be MUCH better for your AND your dog. Also, remember that this is the time when you're building habits in him. He deserves to be properly taught in a loving, safe, and smart manner.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 7, 2008, 08:07 PM
    Also check the sticky from labman at the top of the dogs page for information on crate training.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dauchsund started pottying in crate [ 1 Answers ]

We have a two year old dauchsund who has only had one accident in his crate in the last six months... until this week. My husband rotates working nights and days every four months, so this week he began working days again. This means that Toby has to stay in his crate during the day while we are...

Pottying in the basement! [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I have a 5 month old Boston Terrier/Beagle mix. We got her when she was about 10 weeks old. She was doing very well with her potty training, with only an occasional accident. About 6 weeks ago, she discovered she could go down the stairs. Now she thinks the basement is her potty area! ...

Puppy being sick SOME mornings [ 10 Answers ]

Hi again. I have a 4 month old jack russell cross chihuaha puppy, fully vaccinated. My concern is every few days she seems to be unwell in the morning. She gags and is sick once or twice into her mouth, then swallows it. She doesn't eat any breakfast and her tummy makes a lot of hunger noises....

'96 corolla has trouble starting in the mornings, but only in the mornings [ 1 Answers ]

In the mornings I get in my car I put the key in I turn the key it makes that sound and then it BARELY turns over And then I have to press the gas to makie it fully turn over

View more questions Search