Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjb4060 Posts: 87, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Early labor?
    So I went to the doctors and she said I was still at 3cm but since my contractions are so regular and so painful, that I am probably in early labor... how long can early labor last and also since my appt and since she checked my cervix, I am bleeding pretty bad, not like usual. I have little chunks of bright red blood, and every other cervical check was just a little pink... is this normal, and also does anyone have any techniques to get comfortable during contractions??

Jun 4, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Any answers??
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjb4060
    So i went to the doctors and she said i was still at 3cm but since my contractions are so regular and so painful, that i am probably in early labor...how long can early labor last and also since my appt and since she checked my cervix, i am bleeding pretty bad, not like usual. i have little chunks of bright red blood, and every other cervical check was just a little pink...is this normal, and also does anyone have any techniques to get comfortable during contractions???

Early labor can last for days for some women... some women will have what is referred to as a prodromal labor. The bleeding is likely from the exam your doctor did; it can also be partly from the cervix thinning out. Certainly if it is enough to cause you concern, check with your doctor.
    A few things you can try for comfort: using a birth ball, warm bath, use the contractions to practice you slow, easy breathing, try meditation, a nice massage... neck, shoulders, feet, whatever feels good, try a body pillow or a few bed pillows tucked around when you are lying down for comfort, talk to your baby, try visualization to focus on the cervix opening up and baby moving down... or put yourself in a totally different place... the contractions are waves that you breathe in and out, the warm sun is helping you to relax as you sink into the bed, etc.. Rest as much as you can for now... conserve your energy. Just think, what you do now as far as dilation, is that much less you will have to do once things really take off... you have a nice head start... :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 05:49 PM
    I agree with everything Doula stated. I would also like to ask if this is your first child?

Jun 5, 2008, 12:05 PM
    This is my 2nd child but I was induced the 1st time so I don't really know what to expect as far as going into labor on my own at home... I also was wondering since both of you are the 2 that I was hoping would answer :) is there a such thing as a "calm before the storm" in terms of labor, because up until last night I was having some pretty regular painful contractions, but now I'm not having many and the baby is very relaxed, all I can feel is his head in my pubic bone...
    stormey44 Posts: 380, Reputation: 3

Jun 5, 2008, 01:13 PM
    If you are bleeding that much I would go to labor and delevery and I was told after a exam if I bleed like a period to go to the hospital

Jun 5, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Well it has slowed down at this point and the baby is moving around fine so ill probably just wait it out.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjb4060
    this is my 2nd child but i was induced the 1st time so i dont really know what to expect as far as going into labor on my own at home...i also was wondering since both of you are the 2 that i was hoping would answer :) is there a such thing as a "calm before the storm" in terms of labor, because up until last night i was having some pretty regular painful contractions, but now im not having many and the baby is very relaxed, all i can feel is his head in my pubic bone...
    There often is no rhymn or reason as to how things will go, only that things will eventually pick up pace the farther you go into labor. Certainly they can be quite regular and then space out a bit, only to become regular again. This can be confusing with Braxton Hicks contractions, which usually are fairly sporadic, but they can also be quite regular at times, causing some women to think they are the real thing. The biggest difference is that true labor contractions will cause changes to your cervix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre labor/False labor [ 4 Answers ]

Ok odd question. How long can pre labor last? I have been having contractions since Sunday and they don't get any closer and/or change in intesity. I was just wondering since even with two previous births I have never before experienced this. I don't even know if it is pre labor or not. I just...

Describe two factors that affect labor supply and two factors that affect labor deman [ 7 Answers ]

Describe two factors that affect labor supply and two factors that affect labor demand. Using economic principles, describe how changes in the labor market have affected you or someone you know.

Early labor? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been feeling quite different today and yesterday. Could this be early labor? 1. Dull lower back cramps 2. menstrual-like cramps 3. softer stool 4. feeling weak and achy (almost flu like) 5. decrease in fetal movement (he is sort of sluggish) I went to the Labor and Delivery 2...

Very early labor? [ 7 Answers ]

Im curious to know if I could be in early labor. Here are some symptoms I have. Loss of mucous plug for the past week and a half without blood. Nausea Constipation/diarrhea Loss of appetite (actually, it makes me feel like Im going to vomit if I eat anything) Period like cramping in my...

Labor soon? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am 36 weeks with my first child. I went to my doctor yesteday and he said I was dilated to a 2. Last night I woke up at 4:30 am because my stomach felt extremely tight kind of like contractions, but not regular. I couldn't go back to sleep. Could I be going into labor before I am expected...

View more questions Search