Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lukesmommy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 08:37 AM
    I just lost a case through Small Claims
    I owe a Medical charge (California)from 12 years ago, and wasn't informed of it. I now live in another State( North Carolina) and am being threatened by the Lender to pay in full or they will record a judgement aggainst me. I want to know if they can do this, and if so, would I get my wages garnished?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 3, 2008, 08:51 AM
    If you lost the case, the judgement was already entered. They can now use that judgement to garnish your salary.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 10:23 AM
    If it is that old, how did they win a law suit? You should have challenged the debt on SOL. But if they won the law suit then they already have the judgement
    hobbsa1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 10:45 AM
    The statute of limitations is 4 years in California, they are just some scavenger debt collection agency most likely trying to act as a law firm to try to get you to pay. They don't go from state to state. After the 4 years in CA, the debt is written off, and debt agencies buy the debts for just pennies! If it happened in the state of California, and its been longer then 4 years, you should be golden. BUT if you admit there is a debt, and admit you have that debt, and/or have tried to pay on this debt THUS admitting you have the debt to claim as your own, they can start the process all over again and try to get you. So be careful how you talk to debt collectors... saying nothing at all and playing dumb is sometimes the best way.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbsa1
    The statute of limitations is 4 years in California, they are just some scavenger debt collection agency most likely trying to act as a law firm to try to get you to pay. They don't go from state to state. After the 4 years in CA, the debt is written off, and debt agencies buy the debts for just pennies! If it happened in the state of California, and its been longer then 4 years, you should be golden. BUT if you admit there is a debt, and admit you have that debt, and/or have tried to pay on this debt THUS admitting you have the debt to claim as your own, they can start the process all over again and try to get you. So be careful how you talk to debt collectors...saying nothing at all and playing dumb is sometimes the best way.

I'm not sure when the Judgment was obtained - it could have been years ago and they just found the OP or years ago, renewed... and then they found the OP.

Was it a recent Judgment? If he's been out of the State of California for some time (?) it must be old and perhaps the debt was NOT out of Statute when the Judgment was obtained.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing small claims case againt ex boyfriend who borrowed money? [ 6 Answers ]

How can I file a claims case against my ex boyfriend who used me for money? I loaned him $4000 and wrote up a contract outlining all terms and conditions and he and I signed it. He told me he would pay back but it has been over a year and I have not seen 1 payment. When I get angry and say I'll...

Served with civil and small claims summons but the case does not exsist? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About a month ago a civil court summons was left in my doorway for a credit card debt that never belonged to me. Then about two weeks ago the same law firm sent another small claims summons for the same debt. I have been checking the court listed on the summons website list of civil and...

KY Small Claims [ 8 Answers ]

I was recently in the market for an engagement ring for my girlfriend. A friend of mine's wife worked for a company that makes rings to sell to retail jewelers. This company is not allowed to sell to the public. I met with her and found a ring that I liked. She told me she could order 3...

Winning or losing small claims case? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, and thanks all for reading and for your help in advance! I rented 1 bedroom in Queens, NY for 560 on Oct. 1 It's part of a 3 bedroom 2nd floor place. My roommate S who'd lived there for several years was in charge of utilities. I would have to give her my 560 every month and she would...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I have the name of a person who has since been married and moved to Quebec How can I find out her married name and address for my small claims papers to serve her and do I use her married name even if the contract was in her maiden name?

View more questions Search