Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

Jun 2, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Maine divorce laws
    I have a friend who has been married for a few years and has a house he was buying well before the relationship began, so the mortgage is only in his name. His wife has an alcohol problem, and when she started getting verbally and physically abusive, he had her removed from the house by the police and put a restraining order on her.

They are currently in the process of getting a divorce, and she is insisting that she can get his house as "community property", but I have been led to believe by other friends who have been divorced that the only way she can get the house that's in his name is if he allows it to be listed as property they got together.

Any thoughts on who is right? In the state of Maine, is the house he had started paying for before she was even part of the picture something she can now steal away from him as part of the divorce settlement just because he let her move into it when they got married, or is his property safe?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2008, 08:05 PM
    It depends. The money that he put into the house is definitely his. But did he put in money from "communal" funds after they got married? And house the house appreciated since the marriage? She might have a claim to part of that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce laws [ 1 Answers ]

:( Does anyone know the divorce laws in California when a husband just walks out on a wife and his kids?

Divorce Laws [ 1 Answers ]

My step son recently left his wife of 5 months due to unreconciliable differences. They have been together about three years but did not marry until April 1, 2007. They got married in New Orleans aboard a cruise liner. My question is are there different divorce or annulment laws that govern the...

HIIPA laws and divorce [ 4 Answers ]

My spouse's attorney has included a demand that I divulge all my medical and psychiatric records for the past 10 years as part of the interrogatories. Does HIIPA law protect me from having to do this? It's not a criminal trial -- I didn't kill anyone -- just tired of an abusive husband. Thank you...

Maine Probate Laws. Am I an heir to my grandmother's estate? [ 4 Answers ]

3 years ago both my parents died.. Then in the beginning of March, I lost my grandmother and I am having a hard time to deal with it all. A few days ago one of her children told me that since there is no will and everything is going to be probated my siblings and I would be able to collect my...

Does anyone know the laws of self defense in Maine? [ 3 Answers ]

I am being charged with the crime of assault. In a Maine district court. On August 29, 2004 an ex- friend and I were involved in an altercation. My friend was drunk coming back from a bar when he decided to try and take my cars keys without my consent. As I told him to give me back my car keys he...

View more questions Search