Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkessel Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 04:53 PM
    What motivates you to answer questions?
    Hey All,

The most interesting part of this wonderfully successful site is what motivates people to answer questions so thoroughly. Granted there is a percentage of junk answers but obviously there is more than enough value in most answers that keep people coming back. I can't imagine it's the money, so can we start a discussion to get people input? :)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 04:55 PM
    I like to think and hope that I am helping someone who needs help in some way.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 1, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Ever see the movie Pay it Forward?

Jun 1, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Yessir with Kevin Spacey, great movie. So people do it for the gratification of helping others? - I totally get that but I'm sure there's more to it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Scott I thought you told me it was because it made you a sex symbol and all of the groupies that follow you around all day.

And of course I want to be discovered and be the new Rush Lindbaugh.

But beyond that most of us just enjoy helping people.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 05:10 PM
    JK,
    While I help,I realise some things that help me too.A sort of self realisation and the feel good factor:).

And by reading many of the posts here,there is much we learn from others and their experiences.

Could be the money(NOT!):)

Jun 1, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Gives me renewed faith in humanity if this is the case. My motivation is to test myself to make sure I have an accurate self image of my skills and I just really enjoy being right lol! Kidding, but helping others is wonderful... payment enough
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 05:13 PM
    When I first joined I saw all sorts of terrible medical advice being given, still do as a matter of fact. Dangerous in fact. I stay around to help clear up misconceptions and help to put people's mind at ease.

Also, it is the Pay it Forward mentality for me too.
    theguywithnolife Posts: 82, Reputation: 10

Jun 1, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Truthfully Because I get bored and I feel my words are always right LOL
    squeaks77 Posts: 113, Reputation: 19
    -

Jun 1, 2008, 09:19 PM
    I love to share information and gain new info.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Saw Pay It Forward twice. Made me cry both times.

I'd love to have some terrifically tear-jerking reason why I answer questions. But I don't know. I have to admit it's a lot habit. It's already what I do for a living. I've always had a tendency to jump into stuff, even where my nose isn't wanted. :) I've always had a tendency to help people, and I've always liked teaching stuff. My first major was education. (Secondary education -- probably a good thing I changed majors, cause I'd never be able to stand what has happened to the school systems.)

But why? I have no idea. It does make me feel good when I know I've helped someone. Doing it in person is nice cause I can see whether I'm helping someone, whether they say so or not. And even though most people don't come back and say thanks, and some are downright ingrates, maybe it's enough when just one person seems to appreciate it.

Maybe I like feeling needed.

It's also possible it's related to the fact that I like to learn myself, so maybe I just like the sharing of info or something.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 2, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Scott I thought you told me it was because it made you a sex symbol and all of the groupies that follow you around all day.
    CHUCK! I told you that in confidence :D

You traumatized my daughter with that :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300
    Saw Pay It Forward twice. Made me cry both times.
    Only twice?

During the last major blackout we had in the NE a few years back, I was trying to walk/hitch my way home from Manhattan to LI. I had walked to the Shea Stadium area when a couple stopped and offered me a ride. They actually took me all the way home which was a good 20 miles out of their way. They refused to take any remuneration for it. I did get their address and mailed them a copy of Pay It Forward (they said they hadn't seen it).

Getting back to the original question, there is a certain rush one gets, when the questioner responds that our advice had helped. Even though those that do respond represent the minority, when that happens, it makes the effort all the more worthwhile.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2008, 01:25 AM
    Actually, someone gave me a feedback the other day that my answer was better than any other received. And then this person posted several more homework problems, actually has attempted them (gasp!), 'listens' and tries to correct... the kind of person I can tell is actually working and trying, and I feel truly appreciates the help, even though doesn't always return to say so. That is the kind of person I enjoy working with, and that is when it feels good and makes it worth coming back.

Cool story, ScottGem. There are still people around who do good just for the sake of being a kind human being.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2008, 01:28 AM
    I like to help people. Period.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Because if I didn't intervene, the wreckage would look exactly like what happens when a drunk moron in a flimsy and badly maintained car going at high speed in the dark while playing with explosives crashes and turns the whole affair in to a tumbling fireball of shredded meat and metal.
    That's why I do it.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 3, 2008, 11:58 AM
    I ask at lot of questions so I try to help other people in return. It's like you can sit in a WIFI hotspot and still look over the back fence to see what the neighbor is working on. Or take part in looking over their shoulder on their project, without having to spend any money . If I start one more home improvement project before I finish the ten or so I've got started, the wife will kill me. I
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Jun 3, 2008, 12:21 PM
    I think it's ingrained in all human beings to have the desire to help.. it just depends on the person if they listen to that urge inside them..

It does give a good feeling when we help.. if you look at it one way it looks like a selfish thing, giving your advise makes you feel better and wanted, but it's not a bad kind of selfishness.. helping people in the end is good..

I think we as human beings are selfish in everything we do, we can't help it, we are looking out for number one, it's part of surviving and procreating.. but like I said the selfishness of helping is not bad, it's just that rush that we get is self gratifying. I'm probably going to get a lot of crap for saying this.. oh well it's my opinion
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Hello:

Help people?? Nahhh. I'm here to stymie the cops. If that helps somebody, cool. Plus, I like to show off and be a smarty pants. And, of course, you know how much I love to argue... But, most of all, I like to see my stuff in print...

Am I a giving altruistic sort of person?? Nope. It's all about MEEEEE!

excon

Jun 3, 2008, 03:54 PM
    Magprob's onto something! This site could prevent natural disasters and accelerate natural selection although encouraging people to give it up and throw themselves into traffic is probably against the TOS. Mmmm Chris?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

Help people??? Nahhh. I'm here to stymie the cops. If that helps somebody, cool. Plus, I like to show off and be a smarty pants. And, of course, you know how much I love to argue... But, most of all, I like to see my stuff in print...

Am I a giving altruistic sort of person??? Nope. It's all about MEEEEE!

excon
    And here I thought it was all about gas, grass or a$$ with you, sir.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Answer these hr questions [ 4 Answers ]

Hi,I am jayaveer, doing my final year btech. Please send answers to these questions 1.what do you understand by product development & it servicescompany 2.given a choice which kind of organisation would you like yo join?why? 3.why do you think Microsoft has emerged as global leader in software...

To all those that answer my questions [ 2 Answers ]

One part of this service that I don't like is that it will not let me rate all those who answer the questions for some reason. You have to wait and rate several other people first before rating them again which I don't like. So for all those people who answer my questions and don't receive ratings...

View more questions Search