Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    porkypig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Wiring a doorbell with telephone wire
    My existing doorbell was wired with 5-colored telephone wire. There is a doorbell button in both the front and back of the house. How do I know which color wire to use on the doorbell? The instructions don't tell me. There are three screws; one for the transformer, one for the front door and one for the back door. Which color attaches to which screw?
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

May 27, 2008, 08:21 PM
    If it is a new install, as far as colors I don't see where it would matter. Just as long as they are connected to the correct terminals.

How many pairs of wires are in the sheathing? Ive never seen 5 conductor in a phone line. Its usually in pairs of 2 and is usually 4 cond, 6 cond, etc..
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 27, 2008, 09:48 PM
    What you are calling telephone wire is probably 5 conductor bell or thermostat wire.
    Here is the most common way of wiring a door bell. You pick the colors.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving an outside telephone wire on house [ 3 Answers ]

Good Morning! I would like to know if I can safely move/adjust my telephone wires on the outside of my house. A storm brought down a tree, which pulled the pole tightening the lines. NStar adjusted the electrical. Can I safely move the phone wires a bit? Thanks :confused:

Wiring a second doorbell [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to wire a second doorbell. I read in your column that you should wire the two doorbells together. However, I cannot snake a wire to my first doorbell. The second doorbell is located at the button that was once on the outside of the house. Can I wire my second doorbell into the...

Telephone wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small business. When the owner installed the telephone lines he installed 2 of them. We took the plate off and looked at the wiring within jack and he put 2 strands to each of the 2 jacks. We currently have 2 incoming lines with a 2 line telephone. This works okay. However, we are...

Telephone wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I hope you'll be able to help me.. I am trying to have a phone at the kitchen and both my bedrooms. When I first moved into the apartment, there was only 1 jack working (bedroom 2), I was able to successfully put the kitchen jack working a month ago. Now, I am trying to work on the bedroom 1...

Wiring my doorbell [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I own a split level home with a doorbell upstairs. The problem is that we can't hear it if we're in a room downstairs. I bought a second doorbell and picked a location downstairs, but I'm not sure how to wire it in to the first doorbell, since there is a floor/ceiling beam in the...

View more questions Search