Ask
    kyhillbilly420 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Shifting problems
    Shifting problems with my 1999 Ford tarus
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 16, 2008, 05:20 PM
    . Disconnect the negative battery cable overnight, in order to force the computer to "relearn" shift points. If necessary, record radio code first.

. Drop and clean the transmission pan, change filter, and refill with Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF. Change fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. The automatic transaxle is the weak link in most FWD vehicles.

The link below should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post552241

This is the procedure I follow on my 2000 Taurus, with the 3.0L Duratec engine. It's a great, reliable, and under-rated car, especially for the money. If you haven't been changing the fluid and filter every 30,000 miles, your problem may be more severe (e.g. worn clutch packs) and require a rebuild.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 Honda Accord "s" light/shifting problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda accord lx. The "s" light constantly blinks and the car shifts from 1st to 3rd so I don't have 2nd or 4th unless I put it in manually. The TCU gave me error codes 7 and 15. I removed the TCU and looked at the circuit board and there was corrosion. I ordered a rebuilt one and...

Automatic honda civic dx shifting problems [ 1 Answers ]

I don't really know anything about cars but I have an automatic honda civic dx that takes a while to shift into the next gear. Im not too sure but I think that it might need a new transmission. It also won't shift into d2. I have gotten a few suggestions such as flushing out the transmission and...

Shifting problem [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse transmission. All of a sudden as u are driving, it jerks and drops you to low gear. It was already been rebuilt about 11 months ago, but now I am back at square 1. Does anyone know what the problem could be or do I just need to burn it? Also,...

Transmission shifting problems [ 2 Answers ]

?? I have a 1994 chevy s-10 and we just replaced the filter and transmission fluid it will shift 2 times and no more what can it be?? I am so fed up with it please help me

View more questions Search