Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    la1401 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Installation of a twist and set flange
    I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom and after the demolition the flange for the toilet drain sets up to high. I will have to remove the old one and replace it with a new one lower to the concrete slab. I found a cast Iron "Twist and Set Flange" and was wondering if this is easy to install and will it do the job?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2008, 05:03 PM
    What is you drain pipe made from, cast or PVC. Your falnge can sit on top of the finished floor or flush with the floor surface, are you within these parameters?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Hi La1401:

Hey, twist and set is pretty easy to install if everything comes together nicely!

How are you planning to remove the old flange?

First, I would soap the twist and set flange and try to fit into the drain pipe (over old flange for now)... here, the old flange should be leaded on the outside of the drain pipe, so if this will work should feel resistance to fitting the twist and set flange on the INSIDE of the drain pipe.

If that seems right.. need to remove the old flange (I use a hammer and a cold chisel... but let me know what you are planning.. ok?).

Then, if all good, want to tile up to pipe then install the new twist and set flange so flange sits directly on the tile... THEN.. need to secure the flange through the tile and screw flange into subfloor.

Plan on picking up a 1/4" plastic concrete anchor kit with 1/4" masonary drill bit (sold at home supply stores... see pic) to secure through/into the tile... see picture.

Let me know what you think... Mark
    Attached Images

May 14, 2008, 05:23 PM
    The pipe is cast iron. I would like to remove the old flange with a cold chisel and hammer, but I am not sure what a cold chisel is. Everything massplummer2008 sounds right. Its 4" cast iron pipe and a leaded cast iron flange.

May 14, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Forgive my ignorance of a cold chisel, but can I stick my chisel in the freezer and make it cold?? Or is a cold chisel something in itself.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2008, 05:41 PM
    From wikipedia Chisel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May 14, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Thanks for the comments guys they really helped. I was able to get the old flange off and will be installing a new twist and set cast iron flange after I get the floors down. To make certain I understand, the twist and set flange is installed by soaping up the rubber ring and fitting it into the existing cast iron pipe then screwing the new flange down until its gets the depth I need it
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 15, 2008, 04:06 AM
    Hey La1401:

The twist and set flange should be wetted with water to start, then apply light layer of soap and then twist and set so that the flange sits down tight ON TOP OF THE TILE!

Then ALIGN the flange so that the toilet bolts will be centered on new flange... and drill through the holes in flange, through the tile, then set plastic anchors, then screw flange solidly to floor (not too tight, could crack new flange or tile).

Then use wax gasket with horn and new johhni bolts to set the toilet. Here, tighten down in steps. 1st step is to set bowl and tighten the bowl down pretty good.. then walk away for 5 minutes, come back and tighten a little more (nuts will be looser than when you left), then 10 minutes later come back and cinch them down a bit more. Then cut the johhni bolts to right height, give 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the nuts again, and finally set the finish caps over the bolts and you should be done... ;)

Note that with above explanation, you need to judge tightness... the idea is to let the wax squeeze out over a small period... better installation, less chance or loosening later.

Good luck with it... Mark

May 15, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Thanks a bunch.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 15, 2008, 01:28 PM
    We're glad to help... ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Twist & Set Closet Flange [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know if I tile the bathroom floor first and then install the Twist & Set Closet Flange over the top of the finished tile?

Toilet flange installation [ 6 Answers ]

I am going to install a toilet in the basement that already was rough-in when the house was built. I have a cast iron pipe for the toilet sticking out about 10". I am going to install ceramic tile on the floor, do I cut the pipe down to the concrete floor and install the flange and butt the tile...

Twist N Set Closet flange on 3" short sweep copper drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi again, I'm trying to install a 3" Oatey Twist N Set closet flange on 3" short sweep copper drain pipe. The problem I'm having is that the Twist n Set is too long and cannot be inserted all the way due to the curvature of the copper pipe it is fitting into. Secondly, it seems the seal...

Toilet flange installation [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a new bathroom in the basement that was rough in by the plumber. I have a cast iron pipe for the toilet rough in. What do I use to cut the cast iron pipe to the correct height, and what is the correct height. I am also installing ceramic tile to the floor. Do I install the flange on...

Offset Closet Flange Installation [ 1 Answers ]

Installing a toilet in a new basement bathroom. Center of 4: PVC drain pipe is 13.5" from the wall, so I tried to use an offset flange, made by Oatey Caspers. It was a snug fit, so I did some sanding with sandpaper and emery cloth, applied the cement and tapped it down, but could not get it in...

View more questions Search