Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amy11209 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Filing small claims case againt ex boyfriend who borrowed money?
    How can I file a claims case against my ex boyfriend who used me for money? I loaned him $4000 and wrote up a contract outlining all terms and conditions and he and I signed it. He told me he would pay back but it has been over a year and I have not seen 1 payment. When I get angry and say I'll settle this leagally, he makes threats against me. He wrote to me in an email that if I ever go to court or say that I will go to court against him, he will make sure that I loose all the respect from my family. He will expose all the pictures we had taken during the time we were together and show them to my family. The pictures are not explicit in any way.. I just don't want my family seeing them. I have much respect for my family and would not want them to know that I ever dated a jirk. He has been abusive and manipulative and feels that he can control me. He is here illigally and tried to convince me to marry him so that he can get his green card. I refused thank god. He refuses to pay me back my money and it's causing me mental and emotional stress. What are my options in showing him that what he's doing is wrong and how can I get him to pay me and not worry about what he'll do as revenge?
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

May 11, 2008, 04:07 PM
    You asked:

What are my options in showing him that what he's doing is wrong and how can i get him to pay me and not worry about what he'll do as revenge?

The answer to both questions may be nothing.

You have described this individual as a manipulative, abusive jerk. Litigation is not likely going to change him into a co-operative, caring individual.

Perhaps the only way you could sue for your money without having to worry about him contacting your family and/or distributing the photographs would be to first obtain some type of restraining order or injunction from a higher court, however, we cannot advise you in this regard.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2008, 06:53 PM
    You can call the police and see about having him charged with blackmail for the threats.

And you can sue him for the money.

But you will have to worry about him sending the photos out, this is of course a problem we have if we do photos and things we were not want others to know about. Best bet tell family about photos in general, and then he has nothing to hold over you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amy11209
    How can I file a claims case against my ex boyfriend who used me for money? I loaned him $4000 and wrote up a contract outlining all terms and conditions and he and I signed it. He told me he would pay back but it has been over a year and I have not seen 1 payment. When I get angry and say I'll settle this leagally, he makes threats against me. He wrote to me in an email that if I ever go to court or say that I will go to court against him, he will make sure that I loose all the respect from my family. He will expose all the pictures we had taken during the time we were together and show them to my family. The pictures are not explicit in any way..I just dont want my family seeing them. I have much respect for my family and would not want them to know that I ever dated a jirk. He has been abusive and manipulative and feels that he can control me. He is here illigally and tried to convince me to marry him so that he can get his greencard. I refused thank god. He refuses to pay me back my money and it's causing me mental and emotional stress. What are my options in showing him that what he's doing is wrong and how can i get him to pay me and not worry about what he'll do as revenge?

If the pictures are not explicit why are you allowing him to blackmail you? And if you attempt to get an order to keep him from releasing the photos he can very well mail them - or, worse, put them on the Internet - before the Court hearing. Doesn't sound, though, like anyone will care very much.

I suspect your family already knows you dated a jerk so that won't be any shock to them. Tell them and then the ex boyfriend has absolutely nothing hanging over your head.

Court is never a good place to prove you are morally right and he is morally wrong - he owes you money, he hasn't paid it, you can take him to Court for that but you can't take him to Court to correct his behavior. You also cannot sue for mental anguish/stress on a contract, which is what you have here. No legal grounds.

As FrChuck said - if he's blackmailing you, go to the Police but if the pictures are not explicit and are merely 2 people dating and you don't want your family to know you dated him (that's the problem as far as you are concerned) I doubt they will be very interested.
    daisydg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 09:50 PM

He's here illegally? Call the ICE hotline and turn him in: 1-866-DHS-2-ICE He will get deported and he'll wish he'd kept his mouth shut. As far as your money goes I doubt you'll ever see a dime either way. Even if you sue him he won't show up in court (he's illegal... court is not where he wants to be), and you'll win, but he can just stiff you on the payment.
    prettyosita1984 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2011, 03:10 PM
    Hey, I am having the same problem kind of. I am suing my ex, but were you able to get money back?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2011, 03:33 PM

The person who asked this hasn't been back since 2008. We don't know if she got the money back or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served with civil and small claims summons but the case does not exsist? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About a month ago a civil court summons was left in my doorway for a credit card debt that never belonged to me. Then about two weeks ago the same law firm sent another small claims summons for the same debt. I have been checking the court listed on the summons website list of civil and...

Step son borrowed money but won't repay. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a stepson that my husband and I loaned him $80k for a business deal that he ended up not being able to fulfill. It was set up as a contract between us including interest. He now says he can't pay us back. He has also quit talking to us. We have not done anything to him to be unkind, but...

Winning or losing small claims case? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, and thanks all for reading and for your help in advance! I rented 1 bedroom in Queens, NY for 560 on Oct. 1 It's part of a 3 bedroom 2nd floor place. My roommate S who'd lived there for several years was in charge of utilities. I would have to give her my 560 every month and she would...

Ex girlfriend owes me $12,000 for money she borrowed for school [ 5 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend owes me $12,000 I borrowed to her to pay for her college when I was with her. How do I go about getting it back? She refuses to answer calls and e-mails I send asking nicely if she could pay me back even if it's a little at a time.

Filing small claims in another state [ 3 Answers ]

I want to file a small claims in another state but do not want to physically go to court. I purchased an item on eBay for $445.00 from NY and never received the item and never received my money back. The guy played cat and mouse games for a month about returning my money. I live in ND. If filing...

View more questions Search