Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katmitchell Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 05:22 AM
    How do you know when you are ovulating
    Hi I am trying to get pregnant and I am still not sure to when you normaly ovulate, I tried it 14 days last month on a 28 day cycle and I did not get pregnant, so what should I try this month? Because it took 31 days till my period this time not 28 so I don't know what to go by? Also how can you tell if you are ovulating? Or even if you are fertile I am unsure because I am not good at noticing any signs? Can someone help any answers would be super helpful
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by katmitchell
    Hi I am trying to get pregnant and I am still not sure to when you normaly ovulate, i tryed it 14 days last month on a 28 day cycle and I did not get pregnant, so what should i try this month? because it took 31 days till my period this time not 28 so i dont know what to go by? also how can you tell if you are ovulating? or even if you are fertile I am unsure because i am not good at noticing any signs? can someone help any answers would be super helpful
    There are several "signs" that you are likely ovulating; that your body is preparing for ovulation. These do not guarantee that you are however... although it is generally assumed if someone has regular cycles they are likely to also be ovulating. When your cycles are not regular, start with the shortest cycle you normally have. A general guide is that you will ovulate 12 -16 days before the next period is due, but not everyone falls within this range. Some women will naturally ovulate sooner, some later than the norm and trying for a specific date often causes women to miss the small window of ovulation.
    Some of the signs to look for: changes in cervical mucus... may not always be outwardly evident and an internal check may be necessary... often a few days before ovulation, cervical mucus will become more abundant, wetter, and clearer... it is often described as being similar to egg whites. This sort of cervical mucus is what allows some sperm to survive for a few days, otherwise they will die off fairly quickly. You can also check your cervix for changes in feel and position, you may or may not feel some discomfort, or cramping on one side of your lower abdomen or the other, some women notice some slight spotting when they ovulate, some feel some nausea or have a bit of stomach upset.
    You may find using temping and charting helpful. It can take a few months to notice a pattern, but with taking your temp first thing in the morning and keeping track, you may notice a rise midcycle (again it may not always be midcycle). This lets you know that you have likely ovulated... the rise comes AFTER ovulation however, so ovulation most often occurred the day or two prior. Temping/charting work well for some women, but not for others as there are a number of things that can effect temps. There are numerous websites that will go into more detail as there are a number of variations for what your results may indicate. Ovulation predictor kits also can let you know that your body is likely preparing for ovulation, not that you actually did. These detect a rise in LH, a hormone that increases near the time of ovulation. As with temping/charting, they work well for some women, but not for others.
    It can take quite some time even with good timing, and knowing when you are likely to ovulate. If you have regular cycles, and after a year or so has passed, some doctors will start some testing to determine if you actually are ovulating... among some other tests for you and your partner. It is important for the male partner to be tested as it is frequently an issue for him that needs to be addressed. For older women, testing will often start after about 6 months of trying... if not sooner.
    dollface_93 Posts: 37, Reputation: 5

May 10, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Egg white,clear, strechy mucus!
    mjjmusica Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by katmitchell
    Hi I am trying to get pregnant and I am still not sure to when you normaly ovulate, i tryed it 14 days last month on a 28 day cycle and I did not get pregnant, so what should i try this month? because it took 31 days till my period this time not 28 so i dont know what to go by? also how can you tell if you are ovulating? or even if you are fertile I am unsure because i am not good at noticing any signs? can someone help any answers would be super helpful
    My best advice is to get an ovulation monitor kit. They can be bought at any drug store and range in price from 15 to 40 so they can be pricy. Also there is a website that I use called Fertilityfriend.com the helps you monitor it. Mine varries anywhere from 13 to 16 days. SO you have to just keep monitoring each month. There are many ways to do it
    Janice_123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2010, 06:53 AM
    The desire to have children is one of the most powerful desires couples and families face. Infertility can often wreak havoc on an otherwise calm and loving relationship. It is important that you understand that multiple reasons and causes may affect your ability to get pregnant. Even among the most fertile couples, the chances of conceiving a baby in the first months of trying are generally 25%. That means that roughly 75% will have to continue trying for some time.

If you want to start a family and are impatient to do so, you may find yourself asking why you can't get pregnant. There are many reasons that women may experience difficulty getting pregnant when trying to conceive. Some of the more common reasons include the following:

http://www.pregnancyquickstart.com/fertility-conception/why-cant-i-get-pregnant.html
    astrus Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2010, 12:23 AM
    Try to use this ovulation calendar tool http://www.eovulation.com/ovulation-calendar/ to trace your cycle and find the date of ovulation.
    astrus Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2010, 12:24 AM

Try to use this ovulation calendar tool Ovulation Calendar | Advanced Woman Calendar - pregnancy ovulation calendar by eOvulation to trace your cycle and find the date of ovulation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I ovulating? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I haven't have period for almost 7 years because I've been on the depo. I got off the depo in Dec 2007. I still have not started menstrating but I am cramping like I am. Could I be ovulating? Please advise...

How can I tell when I'm ovulating [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a week away from trying to conceive my second child and was just wondering how can I tell when I'm ovulating without having to buy expensive tests... A couple of months ago I had a miscarriage but I didn't no I was even pregnant and I'm also worried that its going to happen again... I have a...

When am I ovulating? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey There, Just one quick question, my cycle is usually between 31 & 33 days long, I get really sensitive in my lower abdominal area around ovulation all the way until my period actually comes. How can I predict my actual Ovulation day if Buying Ovulation kits and everything doesn't always fit in...

Could this mean I'm ovulating? [ 7 Answers ]

When you have like thick white mucos is what I think comes out of you or some they say that means you are ovulating. It got to be mucos cause when I went to the doctor like two months ago I got checked and they didn't find nothing wrong. So what could it be

View more questions Search