Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rajesh_avittam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 04:22 AM
    Two network cards
    I have two network cards with different ip addresses in my PC. One is connected to internet and the other one is connected to internal network using a switch. I have created a program that will try to connect a device connected to the internal network switch. When I run the program it tries to connect the device through the internet and fails. After dissabling the internet card the program is able to connect to the device through the internal switch. I want both the networks active. How can I solve this problem. I am using windows 2000.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

May 6, 2008, 05:57 AM
    The routing table is telling it which card (interface) to go to for that network.

I would try changing the IP addresses on your home network, if you're using DHCP. It shouldn't be too hard to just change the IP range... that would make sure it's not a conflict in the routing table, and mean you just need to add an entry.

If that doesn't work, reply here with what you see when you do route print from the command line, and what the IP addresses are for the things you're connecting to, and we'll get it figured out.

If you want to make it easier, you can dump "route print" to a file, like this:
    Route print >> c:\route.txt

And then just copy/paste.
    aboleth Posts: 60, Reputation: 8

May 6, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Just to elaborate a bit.

Your compute is connected to 2 networks. Lets say network a is 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 with a default route of 10.0.0.1 and network b is 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 with a default route of 192.168.0.1.

The question here, is what network is the program configured to use. Providing the IP's and default routes are set up correctly, the traffic for the 10.0.0.0 network and the 192.168.0.0 network will route correctly. So, if a request comes from 10.0.0.2 it will find the default route of 10.0.0.1 and forward the traffic there, 192.168.0.X would route to 192.168.0.1 respectively. Your problem most likely has nothing to do with the ip configuration, and a lot more to do with what IP the program claims to be originating from. Hopefully the program has an option to change this, as it's using the wrong network.

Hope this helps,
    Nick
    phoe khwar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Hi... I have NIC 2 card... I want to use one is for internet and one for internal... how can I use it... my internal client want to use internet. How can I share my internet... (cause cyber owner told me to use 1 client for internet.. ) if I will use switch... ower will know if he monitoring.. . how can I share my internet...
    rajesh_avittam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 10:22 AM
    I am not using DHCP. The two network is like this. Internet starts with 10... and the internal network is 192.168.0.XXX. I have created the program which tries to connect to a device connected to the internal network. The device IP is 192.168.0.75 and my PC's internal IP is 192.168.0.19. I am not using routers for internal network ( it is connected via switch/hub ). And my program is trying to connect the device using VC++ with WINSOCK library. It's a client program trying to connect the device with IP 192.168.0.75. The gateways are entred correctly. When the internet-network-card is dissabled the program is able to connect to the device. But if the internet-network-card is enabled then the program fails to connect to the device. But a PING to the device is working fine on both the conditions. I want both the networks active and want to connect to the device while the internet is active. Any solution...
    Imran_kha2002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 03:49 AM
    Hello Friends... I have problem, I want to use 2 network cards on my PC. In detail I am using a PC which is already connected to network for file and printer sharing so I had just installed a another LAN card in to my PC direct from a router because right now I am getting internet from the network which is also shared to another 40 users so the internet connecting is slow. There is another router is available here with the speed of 4mbps/sec internet connection only 4-5 users are using the internet form that router by their WLAN. As we have a mechanical contraction company so some time I have to send the drawings and other documents by mails in heavy quantity. Hope you will get my point.

My IP on network is Static from Server and the router I am going to use just for internet is DHCP enable. Please help to saving my time just to do the simple work like emails send and receive and I can use internet with the printer and file sharing on my network at same time.

Thanks
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 11, 2011, 05:06 AM
    rajesh_avittam,

Please supply us with what retsoksirhc asked for "route print" as that will give us the details needed to help you.

For your configuration you should only have one default gateway. Your internal network (192.168.0.xxx) should be directly connected/reachable and thus requires no default gateway. Your external 10 network is how you reach all networks that are unknown and thus requires a default gateway. Applications/programs will use the NIC based on your routing tables.

Connect both networks and show us the "netstat -rn" output then disconnect the internet side and show us the result "netstat -rn".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two network cards [ 2 Answers ]

I have two pc's computer A with 2 network cards and computer B with 1 network card. On 1 net work card on computer A I have 8 ip cameras on the same ip range and communicating with the PC and on the other network card on computer A I have computer B connected. The problem comes when I try and ping...

1 PC 2 Network Cards 2 Internet Connections [ 7 Answers ]

I have a single PC running Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 that has 2 network cards. I need to configure things to use the first network card and the first Internet connection for FTP client and server use and ALL web browsing. Then I need to configure the second network card to connect to the office...

Collision detection circuitry in the IEEE 802.3 network cards [ 2 Answers ]

I need to find out whether the Collision detection circuitry in the IEEE 802.3 network cards is either analogue or digital. An explanation of whatever the answer is would help.

Two Network cards in One computer accessing two networks.. [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if you could help me with a small problem. I have one network card (A) accessing the internal network i.e.. Net. Printer, shared folders on other computers, and shared servers. Another network card (B) accessing a public network address for VoIP and T1 traffic i.e.. Ports...

Shot gunning network cards [ 17 Answers ]

I have heard about being able to use two nics and being able to double the speed that you are connecting. Has anyone done this and if so how would one hook this up?

View more questions Search