Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frazwood Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Riser clamp
    After reading a bunch of questions and answers on this forum, I think that I need to use a riser clamp.

My problem is that I have been unable to find a riser clamp at the local home improvement stores. Do "riser clamps" have a different name? Or are they relatively uncommon (i.e. not stocked at home improvement mega-shops) and I'll need to go to a plumbing supply shop?

Background: I have a 3-inch main waste/vent pumping stack. Given the condition of the existing plumbing (poor) and the fact that I want to add a new bathroom, I've reached the conclusion that it'll be easiest to remove about 75% of my cast iron stack. Before I do this, though, I want to be sure that it's supported properly before I start taking it apart.

Thanks for your help! This site is AWESOME!!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Do "riser clamps" have a different name? Or are they relatively uncommon (i.e. not stocked at home improvement mega-shops) and I'll need to go to a plumbing supply shop?
    Big box stores don't handle heavy construction stuff like raiser clamps,(see image) you will have to go to a plumbing store or a wholesale house to pick one up. When I cut into a vertical cast iron stack I use a set of ratchet chain cutters to make the cut and a raiser clamp and two bumper jacks to prop up the pipe. Good luck, Tom
    frazwood Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Thanks Tom.

I've already called the plumbing supply store and they have it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for a decent clamp meter [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking to buy a decent clamp meter. In case I'm using the wrong term, here's a picture of what I'm referring to: http://www.globalspec.com/NpaPics/31/90923_031020041314_ExhibitPic.jpg The thing is, I'm kind of confused by all the choices out there. I'm looking to spend a maximum...

Suction riser [ 6 Answers ]

What are suction risers. What are their use for

Calibrating clamp temp probe? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a UEI Multi meter and use a pipe clamp type temp sensor for Superheat and Subcooling... How can I make sure it is accurate? Would it be internal on my Electric meter or on the Clamp? I can't seem to find any info. I know reg temp sensor ice water would be good for 32*. Can I get the clamp...

Need flange clamp for old toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I've got an old raised-tank toilet in the basement of a house I just bought. The bowl was clamped to the drain line coming up from the floor by a wire 2-piece clamp that tightened with 4 nuts. The clamp was totally rusted and one of the bolts broke off when I bumped it. I took a picture of the...

View more questions Search