Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guanabacoa66 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Breaker Box for new Addition
    I have a 100 amp and a 70 amp breaker boxes in my house.
    Can I replace the 70 amp breaker box for a 200 amp breaker box with 30 spaces for the new addition?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 04:08 AM
    Legally you can, but does this make ANY sense to you??

You have an existing 100A service.
    You also have an existing 70A sub-panel.
    You need several more spaces for an addition.

It is obvious that you need a service upgrade to 200 amps.
    This should have been included in your budget for the addition. Didn't your electrician suggest this?
    guanabacoa66 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 05:20 AM
    Thanks for that response. The reason why I'm asking is because I have yet to ask an electrician. I've been doing the job myself. But part of my question was if I can replace the 70 amp breaker box and keep the 100 amp breaker box.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Hi,

First thing you really need to do is map your branch circuits so you can tell what panel to is serving what connections.

Next you can start to plan where the new wiring needs to go.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by guanabacoa66
    But part of my question was if I can replace the 70 amp breaker box and keep the 100 amp breaker box.
    Like I said, yes, you legally can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing GFCI Breaker With A Regular Breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp circuit serving only a single outlet on my deck. It is protected by a GFCI circuit breaker in the home's single 125 amp service panel. I wish to replace the GFCI breaker with a regular 15 amp GE breaker. I will then protect the circuit with a GFCI outlet. I am familiar with...

Replacing Circuit Breaker with Higher AMP Breaker [ 8 Answers ]

Excuse me, I did look at the code book as is suggested in your Sticky. The NFPA may answer this question, but I am not knowledgeable enough to recognize it: Our offices are upstairs in an older (renovated home) building with modern wiring. We have 4 computers, 3 printers, and miscellaneous with...

New 15A breaker trips main 100A breaker [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've been finishing my basement and I added a few 15A breakers One room has 8 outlets in series with the first starting about 6 feet from the main panel. There is currently no load on this outlets. When installing the drywall I accidentally shorted the outlet closest to the panel. It...

Replacing a circuit breaker with a GFI breaker- q on neutrals [ 1 Answers ]

In process on installing withquestion on neutral wires. Do you take the neutrals out of the in the main panel neutral and put them in into the breaker where its labelled "load neutral terminal" and only have the neutral "pig tail" to the panel neutral bar? Thanks!

View more questions Search