Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheRose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Debt of deceased mother
    My mother passed away with a large credit card debt and very little assets. Would I be held responsible and would can the creditor take me to court?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2007, 12:49 PM
    You are not responsible for the card unless you were on it as a JOINT account holder.

You will get calls and they will make you think you are responsible, but you aren't.

If you haven't been contacted by them, yet, call their customer service number and notify them of her death. They may ask for verification.

Sorry for your loss.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Emland is correct up to a point. Only the estate is responsible for the debts of a deceased. However, if you take anything out of the estatebefore all the debts are satisfied, you could be held liable for returning that value to the estate so bills can be paid. I think the only thing that can be paid out ahead of debts is funeral expenses.

But if the executor has used what little assets there are to pay any outstanding debts, then you are in the clear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missing accounts of deceased mother [ 2 Answers ]

My mother died last month. My brother and I are very confused and suspicious of why my mother only had one checking account. She was very tight with her money. When I was with her not long ago, I witnessed her depositing money into a savings account near her home. I do not remember which bank, I do...

Deceased mother's debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have been reading that I am not responsible for the debt but any assets have to be used to pay for debt. My mother had had no will. Does the assets include the income tax return money and any money received from a state retirement plan? Also, do we have to contact creditors to tell them she is...

Debt of deceased [ 1 Answers ]

When a single parent passes away, leaves no will, yet has a bank account, insurance policy, are grown children responsible for her debt or how will hospital and doctor bills be satisfied?

Mother deceased, am I entitled to any money? [ 2 Answers ]

Never mind, apparently children in need should be ASHAMED of themselves for asking their surviving parent for financial help. I guess their grief is of no importance, their lives have not been altered in any way, and the surviving parent should be allowed to frivolously spend the retirement wages...

Liable for debt of deceased mother [ 7 Answers ]

My mother has recently passed away, leaving an outstanding loan. The bank have said that my brothers and I must pay the balance of £4700. However, there is no money in my mothers estate and so we would have to pay this ourselves. Are we liable for payment or should the bank write the debt off?

View more questions Search