Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goodmommy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Custodial parent wanting to move
    I am a custodial parent in n.c. Ive received some child support off and on. There is no visitation or child custody order in place. So my question is can I move out of state with my child?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Does daddy and child(ren) ever visit? What about grandparents? Sure, you can move out of state with your child.

Apr 24, 2008, 09:45 PM
    He didn't want to come visit her until he started paying child support sparatically. Not only did he want to drop in every blue moon but he also wanted to come and take her out of the home even though she's never been around enough to know him. And he's driving on a suspended license due to numerous dui's. His parents have never seen her and probably don't even know she exists. I don't even know most of his family.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2008, 03:55 AM
    Ideally, you should get a custodial order, awarding your daughter to you. You shouldn't have much problem. I don't see why you can't take her.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 05:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Ideally, you should get a custodial order, awarding your daughter to you. You shouldn't have much problem. I don't see why you can't take her.

Exactly - get an Order, save yourself future problems.

Otherwise, I see no problem if you move.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2008, 06:02 AM
    You initially state you are the custodial parent, then say there is no custody order in place. Do you mean any custodial order or just in terms of the father.

As long as there is no court ordered visitation schedule, then you are free to move. But it would make things easier if you firmed up your custody legally.

Apr 25, 2008, 06:06 AM
    Future problems as in him taking me to court for visitation or custody? Its been four years and he hasn't cared enough to even call her on birthdays, if he even knows it. I don't think he would go through the trouble of going that route. Thanks for the advice.

Apr 25, 2008, 06:14 AM
    This response is to ScottGem. When I say custodial I mean just in terms of the father. I know that in nc child support and child custody are two separate issues. So as far as the child support issue Im listed as the custodial parent and he's listed as non custodial.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmommy
    Future problems as in him taking me to court for visitation or custody? Its been four years and he hasnt cared enough to even call her on birthdays, if he even knows it. I dont think he would go through the trouble of going that route. Thanks for the advice.

Right, future problems such as he gets married and his wife pushes him to get to know your child or he has a change of heart. Your child is also entitled to child support.

If you get a chance look through some of the other threads - parents show up literally out of the woodwork all the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Move away issue with non custodial parent [ 4 Answers ]

My ex wants to move from nj to Utah. The kids primarily live with me but he sees them during the week and watches them while I am at work. He also has them every other weekend. If he moves, it will be devastating to my kids and I will then have to pay for day care. What rights do I have? Is...

Custodial parent move from Ca to Tx [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and I used to share custody of the kids and in April I gained sole legal and physical custody of the children. He has supervised visitation with the kids approximately once a week. I would like to move to Texas and was wondering what should I do to prepare to present this to the court. ...

Custodial Parent Move Away [ 7 Answers ]

In the instance where there is a current DV restraining order against the NCP, together with limited visitation between the NCP and the child, the parties were never married, and the custodial parent already has both 100% legal and physical custody, does the custodial parent need permission from...

Can custodial parent move out of state [ 1 Answers ]

I have primary custody of my children, their father has seen them only one weekend in the past two months. Can I move out of state, or am I bound to stay in the state I am in?

View more questions Search