Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kayakgirl2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 05:52 PM
    Move away issue with non custodial parent
    My ex wants to move from nj to Utah. The kids primarily live with me but he sees them during the week and watches them while I am at work. He also has them every other weekend. If he moves, it will be devastating to my kids and I will then have to pay for day care. What rights do I have? Is there any restrictions on the noncustodial parent when they move out of state? Will he be responsible for their airfare when they fly to see him a few times/year? Will he be responsible for paying more child care/child support?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 08:42 PM
    He will have to continue paying child support, and I would venture to say that he is responsible for airfare if they go visit..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakgirl2008
    my ex wants to move from nj to utah. the kids primarily live with me but he sees them during the week and watches them while i am at work. he also has them every other weekend. if he moves, it will be devastating to my kids and i will then have to pay for day care. what rights do i have? is there any restrictions on the noncustodial parent when they move out of state? will he be responsible for their airfare when they fly to see him a few times/year? will he be responsible for paying more child care/child support?

I think you have to go back to Court with the support issue (increased cost) and airfare question. You can't just expect him to pay - of course, maybe he'll agree but I'd get it in writing.

What if they go to Utah and don't come back?

Get a Court Order.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2008, 07:25 AM
    You have almost no rights here. You can't prevent him from moving. You CAN petition the court for a change in the visitation agreement and make it his responsibility to pay transportation. You can also petition for an increase in child support because of the need for day care. Not sure if you would get that though.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You have almost no rights here. You can't prevent him from moving. You CAN petition the court for a change in the visitation agreement and make it his responsiblity to pay transportation. You can also petition for an increase in child support because of the need for day care. Not sure if you would get that though.
    I agree with most of what Scott has said. 1 minor difference. Normally daycare isn't part of child support. Daycare goes hand in hand with child support depending on the ages of the children but it doesn't directly affect child support payments. Most of the time if a parent needs child care for the children due to job responsibilities then the courts in writing demand that both parents pay 50 - 50. But if you get that added to your child support order then be sure he gets the bills in a timely fashion as most states have started to put time limits on collection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custodial parent move from Ca to Tx [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and I used to share custody of the kids and in April I gained sole legal and physical custody of the children. He has supervised visitation with the kids approximately once a week. I would like to move to Texas and was wondering what should I do to prepare to present this to the court. ...

Custodial Parent Move Away [ 7 Answers ]

In the instance where there is a current DV restraining order against the NCP, together with limited visitation between the NCP and the child, the parties were never married, and the custodial parent already has both 100% legal and physical custody, does the custodial parent need permission from...

Can custodial parent move out of state [ 1 Answers ]

I have primary custody of my children, their father has seen them only one weekend in the past two months. Can I move out of state, or am I bound to stay in the state I am in?

Move away order for custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

I'am the custodial parent that lives in California needs to ask for a move away order to move to another state for a job transfer. We have joint custody. How do I go about asking the court for a move away order? How far in advance does this need to be done?

View more questions Search