Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lola1971 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 18, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Husband filed for divorce
    My husband filed for divorce. His lawyers faxed my lawyer the papers. Now I fired my lawyer. And his lawyer was informed that my lawyer is no longer handling my case.(did I technically get served?) or does his lawyer have to serve me personally? I live in NJ
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Just because you fired your lawyer does not mean it did not happen. You know he has filed, so what is the big deal? I am not sure what your question is.

Apr 18, 2008, 07:41 AM
    What part did you not understand? I just want to know if I legally got served through the fax they sent to my previous lawyer or do they need to serve me personally?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Did your attorney file an Answer to the suit? If he did, then you got served as you answered.

Apr 20, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Did your attorney file an Answer to the suit? If he did, then you got served as you answered.
    Thank you for the comment. My lawyer didn't sign the papers.. believe it or not, I did get served on Friday.. it was horrible..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 07:03 PM
    If his attorneys received notice that you fired your attorneys prior to them sending the paperwork out, most likely that would not have been considered legal service

Also did ( I think you said they did not) but did they sign for and receive the paper work.

But to be honest you are being silly about it, trying to pay on "was I served" since it was obvous you knew that your attorneys were served, so you were well aware of the service and for some reson wanting to play the system.

You are going to end up in court so you may as well accept the summons, hire a new lawyer and start the fight.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lola1971
    "... i did get served on friday...
    Just curious: how did you get served?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I contest this issue as husband filed an uncontested divorce [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! My ex-husband to -be filed an uncontested divorce. However, I have some issues first before I sign the papers. He could only give me 700 dollars from his 2900 paycheck. 700 dollars for two kids. This is because he would want to protect a monthly mortgage of $1700. You see, We bought the...

How do I locate where and when divorce was filed? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I find out where, when or if a divorce was filed? I need to send for a copy of the records. I have not seen or spoken to my ex? In about 20 yrs and we lived in different cities when we split. I did not have contact info. I have moved several times. I am not sure if he filed the ppw, but I...

Separated but not yet filed for divorce [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I have separated but not yet filed for divorce yet, I know he has another girlfriend and has gotten her pregnant. But I am not allowed to see any men. He tells me that he has a private investagator following me around and has pictures on me. He is sending annymous e-mails to all my...

View more questions Search