Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gmh18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 11:32 AM
    How do I locate where and when divorce was filed?
    How can I find out where, when or if a divorce was filed? I need to send for a copy of the records. I have not seen or spoken to my ex? In about 20 yrs and we lived in different cities when we split. I did not have contact info. I have moved several times. I am not sure if he filed the ppw, but I heard he remarried several years ago. I checked the county courthouses where we both last lived, but they were not able to locate.
    K_2 Posts: 92, Reputation: 5

Nov 15, 2007, 05:02 AM
    Contact the possible state/s and have them do a statewide search. In Missouri, divorces and marriages are filed with the state after the divorce has been granted and the Vital Records Department is where they are on file. Same place as birth/death/adoption. What state and I'll see what contact information I can get you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Yes, there is no "national" data base ( although there should be) so you will have to check with each state where it could have happened, and sadly not all states even have state records, so without finding your ex, it may not even be possible. You should have been served papers if he knew where you were.
    K_2 Posts: 92, Reputation: 5

Nov 15, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Also, some states have their court records available online for low or no cost. Some are free to see certain aspects of the case and other parts of the case for a fee. Do you know how to contact him? Let me know what state and I'll try to get you some links.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a mom leave state with child if NO divorce / legal papers have been filed? [ 8 Answers ]

If there have NOT been any legal papers signed or filed can a mom relocate out of state with a child.

Once divorce papers are filed can spouses liquidate material assets? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm living with my son and his wife while my wife and I go through divorce. Once either party files for divorce are the assets frozen for disposition later or can a spouse start liquidating material assets without the other spouses knowledge?

Filed 1040 in 2005 instead of 1040NR: Which form should be filed for 2006? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US in Fall 04 and since then have been continuously on an F-1 student visa. I filed form 1040NR-EZ for 2004, but for 2005 I hired a CPA who (without informing me) filed a 1040 on my behalf. In there, he claimed an education credit (or something to that effect) which effectively...

Separated but not yet filed for divorce [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I have separated but not yet filed for divorce yet, I know he has another girlfriend and has gotten her pregnant. But I am not allowed to see any men. He tells me that he has a private investagator following me around and has pictures on me. He is sending annymous e-mails to all my...

View more questions Search