Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjlancaster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Electrical service to detached garage
    I am building a detached garage and have installed a 125 amp panel. I plan to install the service disconnect by the meter base. What size wire do I run from the service disconnect to the panel in the garage. The distance is about 125 feet. I have been told that I could use 2-2-4-6 aluminum, but according to NEC Table 310.16 I would need either 1/0 for 90 degrees C or 2/0 for 75 degrees C. I don't have Table 310.15.B.6, which is what I was told the 2-2-4-6 was selected from.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Apr 18, 2008, 05:50 PM
    I'm just going to say this.

1. You are not allowed to use T. 310.15
    2. Equipment rated over 100A must have the conductors sized no smaller than the 75 degree column of T. 310.16
    3. Your 4th conductor is Alum??
    4. What do you think?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 06:27 PM
    Then I'll just say this.

We use 2-2-2-4 or 2-2-4-6 URD cable for 100A remote sub-panels. Yes, all four conductors are AL.
    This is the typical installation around here.

Not all areas are alike. Many DO allow this installation, which IMO makes complete sense.

If your area does not allow this, then simply use a 90A breaker in the feeder disconnect.

Apr 18, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    Then I'll just say this.

We use 2-2-2-4 or 2-2-4-6 URD cable for 100A remote sub-panels. Yes, all four conductors are AL.
    This is the typical installation around here.

Not all areas are alike. Many DO allow this installation, which IMO makes complete sense.

If your area does not allow this, then simply use a 90A breaker in the feeder disconnect.
    Interesting:D

Sounds good too me, if the URD is complaint--having the xhhw or rhh rating. Or even better, use THHN/THWN copper (too expensive, then use xhhw [alum] ). Yet, if your URD (Which is not recognized) is rated for both (XHHW or RHH) then you are fine... I guess this is what I meant!? ;)

;) :cool: :eek: :) <----did I over do it!

Apr 19, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Sounds good too me, if the URD is complaint--having the xhhw or rhh rating. Or even better, use THHN/THWN copper (too expensive, then use xhhw [alum] ). Yet, if your URD (Which is not recognized) is rated for both (XHHW or RHH) then you are fine... I guess this is what I meant!?

<----did I over do it!
    I guess not! :)
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 06:52 PM
    I didn't even realize that was a question. Duh!

Yes, I know URD is not recognized by some jurisdictions, but it is approved and used almost exclusively around here for underground services and sub-feeds.
    jjlancaster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Thanks for the answers. I decided to go with mobile home feeder that is 2-2-2-4, type USE-2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Detached garage wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Built a detached garage in backyard, the underground line only allowed for 6-3 wiring. The 6-3 had to travel 110 feet to get to the sub panel in the garage. The garage is an 800 sq ft garage with a loft above it. The loft will eventually be converted into a small apartment. I plan on having a...

Detached garage sub-panel [ 4 Answers ]

First I want to thank those who have given such good advice on this forum. I have a 900sqft detached garage. I am installing a 125amp sub-panel. I plan to install a 100amp main in this panel. The house is 100ft away. My plan is to run 2" PVC sched 80 conduit from the house to the garage. ...

Ideal Amps for detached garage [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to build a detached garage with electrical which is about 24' from the house main panel. I plan to have about 6 outlets and one with the 220V for the washer\dryer in the garage. What will be a ideal Amps to support these? Thanks in advance,

Detached garage pad [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to get some information on building a garage starting with the Pad. I am planning on building a 22X26 detached garage. The rough grade was completed about 4 months ago. It is a clay base with no topsoil added yet. Should I get a bobcat in to remove a couple inches or just pack down...

Detached garage panel install, please help [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am running 8-3 underground in pvc conduit and am wondering: 1. How high up the garage wall I should come up before entering the garage (I guess this means how high the panel will be on the inside as well)? Any code for this or is whatever height is comfortable good enough? 2. Also, I...

View more questions Search