Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Apr 15, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Laptops won't turn on
    Hi all,
    I'm working on two laptops for a friend... neither of them turn on. I'll describe them seperatley.

Laptop #1. When you press the power button, the lights on the laptop turn on for about two seconds, then turn off. The first thing I thought was it wasn't actually getting power, but when you plug the power cord in the charging light turns on, and stays on. Someone had told me to try to take the battery out, and turn it on, but that didn't work either. When I do turn the power on, I don't hear any components inside the laptop turn on, its just the power light, and the light for the mouse for a couple seconds. - maybe the power supply?

Laptop #2. This one, when you turn it on, all the lights turn on, but nothing happens. Just like the first laptop, I don't hear any of the components inside turn on. - This one I'm kind of thinking something with the mobo..

These are both HP laptops, I don't think more than a year or two old.
    drsam Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Apr 15, 2008, 09:29 AM
    Does these laptops have SATA... you can go in to the bios n check... if its enabled den disable it n then save setting and switch it off n den switch it back on see if this helps
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Apr 15, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Neither laptops screen will turn on at all when you try to power them up... nothing turns on but the lights.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drsam
    Does these laptops have SATA...................you can go in to the bios n check..........if its enabled den disable it n then save setting and switch it off n den switch it back on see if this helps
    What? Either the hard drives are SATA or EIDE, it doesn't make a difference. And you can't change the interface in BIOS so there's no point in that.

If the laptop is less than a year old then the warranty should be in effect 'cause it sounds like hardware issues and those are hard to fix in a laptop.
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Apr 15, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Laptop number 1 is getting power but not routing the power to the right place sounds like a motherboard issue. The cpu could be fried or the mobo because if the charging light is on its an incidation that power is successing making to the motherboard. It's not the power supply or the connector because you getting the led charging light on the unit.

Laptop number 2 most laptops are quiet it so I don't think that you are going to hear too much noise... is the fan turning on that feel for it and maybe the cd drive you can hear.. does the led light on the cd drive light up. If it doesn't it could be the monitor is out.

But these machines are only two years old.. call hp
    BobbiToo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by suddenImpact
    Hi all,
    I'm working on two laptops for a friend...neither of them turn on. I'll describe them seperatley.

Laptop #1. When you press the power button, the lights on the laptop turn on for about two seconds, then turn off. The first thing I thought was it wasn't actually getting power, but when you plug the power cord in the charging light turns on, and stays on. Someone had told me to try to take the battery out, and turn it on, but that didn't work either. When I do turn the power on, I don't hear any components inside the laptop turn on, its just the power light, and the light for the mouse for a couple seconds. - maybe the power supply??

Laptop #2. This one, when you turn it on, all the lights turn on, but nothing happens. Just like the first laptop, I don't hear any of the components inside turn on. - This one I'm kind of thinking something with the mobo...?

These are both HP laptops, I don't think more than a year or two old.
    Put flashlight on screen and see if you see ghost

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect two laptops [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. I want to connect my two laptops to share files without cable. Both are vista

Connecting laptops and pcs [ 7 Answers ]

I just got a laptop and want to transfer files from my home PC how do I do this?

Stolen laptops questions. [ 7 Answers ]

OK here goes I've had two laptop stolen both were dell xps m140.. I have asked hundreds of sites on the topic and can't seem to get a for sure answer.. ive been told they can be found I've been told they cant, all they have to do is do is a os redo and wipe everything as long as they don't get it...

Laptops [ 7 Answers ]

Can you please tell me if A IBM thinkpad speedstep has a good history thinking of buying one. :)

TruBrite LCD (laptops) [ 5 Answers ]

I need someone to help me because I am not sure what to do or use. About a week ago, I purchased a Toshiba Satellite L25-S119 laptop, and for the screen, it uses TruBrite technology. If anyone wants to see what it looks like, grab an ad from the day after Thanksgiving sale (Office Depot ad). What...

View more questions Search