Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adubb88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 08:51 AM
    A father's rights of an unborn
    Im 16 years old and my ex-girlfriend wants to give our baby up for adoption. Is there any thing I can do to get custody of our baby so she can't give it up for adoption?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Hello ad:

Sure. You'll have to go to family court.

excon
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Of course, you are aware that if she (and you) don't give this baby up for adoption, it means that you will be required to pay child support, and that you should be involved in the child's life? If you really really want this child, then I think that you should be willing to fight for primary custody, so that you are the one getting up in the middle of the night to comfort crying baby, making the pediatric appointments, etc.

The reason I am coming down on you so hard is that you are a 16-year-old boy. It's easy for you to say that she should keep your baby, because most likely you will only be visiting it on the weekends. So you will be able to boast to all your friends how you have a kid, and that you buy it diapers and formula every so often, but if you get tired of the situation and want to go out partying with your friends all night, you can just stop coming around and do so. She will not have as easy of a time with the entire situation, because she won't be able to just put the baby on a shelf and do what she wants with her life.

So, think about it seriously. Is it in the best interests of this unborn child to be raised by two teenage parents, or to be adopted out to a stable loving home?

(And man, does English need a neutral pronoun! "It" just doesn't seem right, but typing out "the baby" all the time gets tiresome.)
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Check this: Contact our Pregnancy Consultants at 800-395-HELP
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 10:26 AM
    You can contest the adoption and attempt to get custody. You'll probably need to sue for an adjudication of paternity and have the court order a DNA test to prove that you are really the father and are thus entitled to contest the adoption and attempt to get custody.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 11:16 AM
    [QUOTE=froggy7]adubb88 disagrees: I have helped raise my two little sisters before we were all taken by the state. And then I was still taking care of my 2 year old sister because all 8 different famillies that we were with didn't care. I know what it means to sacrifice. I don't party

Please read the rules of the Board - just because you don't agree with the answer doesn't mean it is legally incorrect. No reason to give a "reddie."

That being said - how old is your girlfriend?

This makes me sad - you were taken by the State, you were with 8 different families that "didn't care" and now you are planning for a child to be raised by a 16 year old father with (apparently) no family support system. How do you intend to support the child IF you get custody?

Sad, indeed - experience is most definitely not the best teacher.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 01:41 PM
    What state do you live in ? The reason I ask is because depending on the state there are different routes to take to obtain your goal. In some states the mother need only drop the baby off in a convinient spot and no questions are asked and your child could be lost to you forever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does father's METH use affect unborn baby [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is pregnant she dosen't use Meth but I just found out her boyfriend does... He's lost weight, anger outburts & sleeps a lot... I want to know how will his use affect my daughter's unborn baby... I've tried using the internet but only found answers if mother is a user...

Fathers Rights to unborn child. [ 3 Answers ]

My delima. My girlfriend is pregnant with my child she says. I don't know if it is mine or not. But my concerne is her Drug abuse. She is sneaking around(and not very well I might add) doing drugs she tells me she isn't but I know she is. First of all is there anyway I can legally do anything to...

Fathers rights of unborn baby [ 4 Answers ]

My brothers girlfriend found out she was pregnant a couple of months ago. A week after they told me, his girlfriend told me there is a chance the baby might not be his. My brother was not mad because he said they both were seeing other people.But they decided to be together so they can raise the...

Is there any way to get my unborn baby's father's rights taken away? [ 5 Answers ]

I was in a relationship with a guy for a mere 5 months. Towards the end of the 5 months, I saw things I would consider child abuse. He would smack his 3 year old niece for not calling him "sir." One day he was actually bragging about hitting his 4 year old cousin (when he was about 19 years old) so...

Rights to unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

If a child is born and it is proved to be mine, can I file for custody of the child now or do I have to wait?:confused:

View more questions Search