Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ezneil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Installing new ceiling lights and wall switch
    I recently purchased 2 flurescent ceiling lights to install where there have been none. I also installed a new wall switch wired from a baseboard outlet. My problem is that when the light is switched on it throws the circuit breaker. I've checked my wiring (bl. To bl. wh. To wh. and ground to ground) and it all looks good. Also, I have reset the breaker with the switch on and the lights come on. When I turn the switch off and turn it back on the breaker goes again. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 30, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ezneil
    I recently purchased 2 flurescent ceiling lights to install where there have been none. I also installed a new wall switch wired from a baseboard outlet. My problem is that when the light is switched on it throws the circuit breaker. I've checked my wiring (bl. to bl., wh. to wh., and ground to ground) and it all looks good. Also, I have reset the breaker with the switch on and the lights come on. When I turn the switch off and turn it back on the breaker goes again. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
    Most probably you are not doing anything wrong. The problem may be related to earth leak inside the fluorescent ceiling lights.
    To check your wiring :
    Switch off the light switch. Switch off the breaker.
    If the ceiling lights are mounted to anything metal, de-install them but keep them hanging free in the ceiling - wired up, except for the earth wiring. If not mounted to metal, just disconnect the earth wires from each ceiling light.
    Switch on the breaker. Switch on the lights.
    If the problem is now solved, one or both ceiling lights have an earth leak.
    If the ceiling light do not work or the breaker trips, the problem is in the wiring of the light fittings. In that case switch off, and look for the fault. An earth wire may have been switched with a neutral wire.
    If the problem is in light fittings :
    Switch off lights.
    Reconnect the earth wire to one unit. Switch the lights on.
    If the breaker trips, the ceiling light with the earth wire has an earth leak problem. If it does not trip, this ceiling light is OK.
    Switch off lights.
    Remove the faulty ceiling light for repair - if the unit showed faulty.
    Reconnect the earth wire to the second unit. Switch the lights on.
    If the breaker trips, the second ceiling light has an earth leak problem.
    Switch off lights.
    Remove the faulty ceiling light for repair.
    Always be careful please during reconnecting : never touch the ceiling lights when they are powered.
    Return one or more faulty light fittings to the supplier, and explain what the problem is.
    ;)
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Ezneil, you had a switch loop somewhere and by wiring everything color for color you now have created a dead short by flipping the switch.

What does this mean, exactly:
    I also installed a new wall switch wired from a baseboard outlet.
    What wires do you have connected to what, in EVERY box?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 08:20 PM
    No, not fireworks, but:
    Quote Originally Posted by ezneil
    My problem is that when the light is switched on it throws the circuit breaker.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Turn off power, Disconnect wires going to first light fixture, turn power and switch back on, If it doesn't trip, short is in fixtures or associated wiring, if it still trips, short is from switch to light fixture.
    If Romex, a staple can short between Hot and neutral or hot and ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motion Sensing Wall Switch causes flickering lights [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought a Cooper Motion sensing wall switch. I wired it (correctly?) and I am getting flickering lights when the switch automatically turns itself off. I have good lights in the "on" positions, and when I turn the lights off there is no flicker. However, when the "motion" stops, the light...

Installing outlet from existing wall switch [ 12 Answers ]

I have a switch that controls an outside light. It is at the end of the run. I want to run an outlet inside the garage from that switch. I want the outlet to only have power when the switch is on. There are two black wires attached to the switch and the two white wires are connected with a wire nut...

Ceiling fan + 2 wall switch [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning all, I recently installed a ceiling fan in my Son's bedroom. I thought everything was installed correctly however when I go to the wall switch only 1 of the switches appears to be connected. So both the fan and light are controlled by 1 switch. I would rather have both switches...

Installing new ceiling lights [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking to put in a ceiling light in our living room the only thing is there is no existing light there. There is no room left in my circuit panel, can I tap into the existing circuit in the living room?

Converting pull switch lights to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've been struggling finding the answer to this in books and online, it seems as if it should be an easy question and something that gets done all the time. Looking for some help. My basement has several rooms and all lights are wired "hot" with pull switches from each light receptacle. When the...

View more questions Search