Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tuhin Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 03:35 PM
    Worked as CPT & OPT for 2005... forms to file
    Hi

In 2005 I was working as CPT and then OPT for a consulting firm. As I workded as CPT & OPT I should be considered as Non-Residient Alien. On the basis whether I can file following deduction:
    1) medical expenses as itemized deduction (In Publication 519 it is not mention that medical expense is included or not for Non-Residient alien)
    2) tax rebate for honda civic hybrid ( since it is mention that foreign entities are not entitled to get tax rebate). Non-residient alient is considered as foreign entites ?
    3) Whether I can enter car loan Interest are tax deductable anywhere since I read in one of the article that car loan interest is not tax deductable. If yes which form and where to file it?
    4) Whether I can file business expenses as non-residient alien. If yes which one of 2106 or 2106ez form to file for business expense. Which one to file.

Thanks in advance

Tuhin
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 09:28 PM
    Tuhin:

1) A review of Form 1040NR shows medical expenses are not deductible.

2) Tax rebate on Honda Civic is actually a deduction. Enter it on Line 33 of Form 1040NR and print "Clean Fuel".

3) Car interest is not deductible.

4) Employee business expenses are deductible only as an itemized deduction, and only to the extent that they exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income. You use Form 2106 to detail the expenses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did not file Form-8843 for 2003-2004. OPT-H1 2005 Tax Need Help [ 6 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I came to US in 2002 as F1 student.I filed the 8843 Form for the 2002 and after that some how I missed all the consecutive years 8843 forms, since I had no employment.Now I have graduated in Dec 2004 and then started working on OPT until dec 31st 2005.My H1 started on 1st...

How is cot worked out [ 1 Answers ]

1*(0.6+cot(180/44)) The Above Equation Is Bugging Me As I Do Not Know What Cot Is, Could Some On Please Help Me Out

Which forms should my friend fill out for tax year 2005? [ 5 Answers ]

TaxExpert, We are in NYC. My friend worked under OPT for about 6 months in 2005 and then under H1B status. Other than 1040 and New York State income tax return, which form should she file? Thank you!

What forms do I need to file? [ 1 Answers ]

I am Japanese citizen, and I came to the U.S in 1997 to study. I've never filed any form since I never made money in the U.S. However, I recently heard that I should have filed "Form 8843" although I did not make any money. Since Oct. 2005, I began to work in U.S as OPT(Optional Practical...

View more questions Search